Search

Luang Prabang or Sapa - Help with decision please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luang Prabang or Sapa - Help with decision please

Hi,

My husband and I (early 50's, reasonably fit and love amazing geography) are going to SE Asia in April for 5 weeks (yes I know it will be hot).

The primary purpose is to get some dental work done and we have decided on a dentist in Chiang Mai. Our wish list at the moment is:
- Thailand (South Thailand for snorkelling, Chaing Mai)
- Cambodia (Siam Reap)
- Laos (Luang Prabang, Vang Viang and Vientiane)
- Vietnam (Hanoi, Hoi An, Halong Bay & Sapa).

My problem is that it is getting to the "which one do we cut out? point. My thinking is that we are planning to visit 3 mountain regions - Chiang Mai, Luang Prabang and Sapa - so maybe we only want to do two of these on this trip. We are committed to Chiang Mai so we need to decide between Luang Prabang and Sapa. Both sound amazing and Sapa has the advantage of an overnight train.

Can anyone who has been to both these areas please offer their opinion or suggest a more obvious one to cut out.

We have already reluctantly cut out Tham Kong Lor due to the logistics of getting there. I am not sure if we will have another opportunity to get back to this region but I think it deserves more time than we have on this trip.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM

I have been to both places. I don't consider LP to be a mountain region any more than I do Chiang Mai (although mountains may be nearby). Not sure why you are choosing CM for dental work when you can get top notch dental work done at places like Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok. Chiang Mai would be 3rd on my list. LP is a small city - could even be classified as a large town - very walkable, with plenty to do on the outskirts. Sapa is a very small town in the mountains with even smaller villages surrounding it - if you are into trekking and meeting local people, this is the place to do it. CM is a large city, the 2nd largest in Thailand - if you have lots of time (and it seems you do) there may be enough outside of CM to keep you entertained. You can do the major sites around CM in about 2 days but if your leanings include Chiang Rai and the area north of CM, it gets more interesting. There is better infrastructure (and hence it is more developed) in Northern Thailand than either Sapa region or the area surrounding LP. Guess it depends on what you are looking for.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 06:15 AM

I am a geographer and also have visited both places. Honestly, I saw your post yesterday and didn't answer because I really had a hard time giving a recommendation. After sleeping on it....I guess I would toss my vote to Sapa--as the previous poster did. My geographic mind loved both places--and for somewhat similar reasons: Lots of beautiful landscapes and a culture/people that are absolutely amazing. Sapa probably will be cooler because of the mountains. It also has great trekking opportunities. The ethnic groups abound in the area making it a wonderful place to experience a variety of people and cultures.

But...with that said--I think both places are wonderful. I guess I would look at ease of getting to/from each of the places. If you want an overnight train experience and can easily get into and out of Hanoi (which is also worth a couple of days) then Sapa is your place. I think LP has a more "laid back" atmosphere. But if it is easier to get to LP and perhaps you could bundle a river trip experience to that destination, than it would be a good choice. Again--both places would be an excellent choice. I think you probably just need to return soon!
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 06:23 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't been to both places, so this is an uneducated opinion (but notice it doesn't keep me from having an opinion!).

I have been to Luang Prabang and I loved it. I can't imagine cutting it. As Craig says, it's not really what I'd call a "mountain region." And Sapa is definitely on my wish list when I get to Vietnam.

Perhaps you might consider cutting Vang Viang or Vientiane? I confess, I haven't been their either, but I don't see them as being high on most people's list. Perhaps tell us a little more about the kinds of things that interest you personally.

Whatever you decide (and you'll no doubt get much better advice from the more experienced Southeast Asia travelers here), I'm sure you'll have a great time. Good luck with the planning!
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

It's funny the impressions you get when just reading about places - I got the strong impression that LP was up in the mountains.

Thanks for your advice. I really want to go to both and I think I may be able to do it if I cut down our time in Vientiane and I'm also considering cutting our Hoi An on this trip as there is so much to do around Hanoi area.

Craig, I appreciate that there are great dentist in Bangkok but I am going through an organiser for the dental part and his main contacts and recommendations are for someone in CM. The other thing that puts me off Bangkok is the heat in April.

Our main focus is on Geography and culture. We have travelled to the US twice and had a ball driving from one amazing National Park to the other. We enjoyed San Fran but other than that we are not great on cities.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 11:18 AM

Outside of Sapa you might like where we stayed:

http://www.topasecolodge.com/

It will be hot everywhere in April.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 11:48 AM

....and I will toss this Sapa hotel into the mix--Cha Pa Garden Hotel (http://www.chapagarden.com/). It is very nice and the food is EXCELLENT!!! Also located right in town. I have a trip report on Sapa on Fodor's...so something else you might want to check out.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 06:05 PM

There is another factor which you might have to consider. During that time of the year there's a lot of "burnings' of crops and trees around, notably, Northern Thailand and Laos. Air quality can get really bad and uncomfortable.

Chiang Mai during mid April will be very full due to the Thai New Year "Songkran" festival. The city will be blocked off for revelers and transportation throughout Thailand will be chaotic or hard to find availabilities for flights, train and bus tickets.

You might be surprise at the heat in Chiang Mai in April. IMO just as bad if not worst than Bangkok.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hanuman, you have got me worried. I was imagining it would be a little cooler in the mountains. We will probably be in South Thailand during Songkran. How busy does it get down there. If too chaotic, maybe we should go to Siam Reap first. Mind you I would love to be there during Songkran. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Gailmo, I have just had a great time reading your trip reports on LP, Sapa and Siam Reap. I envy you being able to actually live in Vietnam for the times you did and to really get to know the culture. We spent 3 weeks in Samoa earlier this year with Habitat. I loved living in the village and getting a understanding and respect for the culture.

Everyone - I have a long way to go with planning this trip but your posts have been really helpful.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 10:23 PM

I wouldn't worry Kiwi as it will be hot everywhere here. Traditionally the Chiang Mia and the Northeast of Thailand area are normally the hottest during April. Siem Reap will be equally hot and the coolest area will be the coastal area like in Hua Hin where there are nice thermal breezes during the day.

Songkran is also celebrated in the neighbouring countries as well but they all have have their own names for the new year holiday. Bangkok will be quiet except for Khao San road and down South will be relatively peaceful. Chiang Mai IMO has the wildest celebration.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

We are planning on arriving from Singapore on the 11th April and leaving about the 12th May. Where we go and when, is pretty flexible other than fitting time in for the dental work.

Would I be beter to visit Vietnam - 7 days (Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay) first then head over to LP, then to Siam Reap, then south Thailand, then CM (with a weekend in Bangkok)

Would the smoke haze be easing off in LP by 18th April and in CM by early May.
What are our chances of the weather being good in Halong Bay around mid April.

Also I have been reading that the heat is better when it is dry and that once the rains start the humidity becomes unbearable. If so maybe going to Thailand first would still be better.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 07:13 AM

IMO the amount of smoke or haze cannot be predicted like the weather. You will have to wait and keep checking the news to see if it's bad or maybe there wouldn't be any problem at all.

The new year celebration will be from the 12th until the Sunday of the week so if you want to avoid it then plan around it.

April IMO is both hot and humid. I recall temperatures in the 40+ C range with high humidity for most year. Avoid being in the sun as much as possible and swim a lot!
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM

The haze and burning will have finished in Luang Prabang by Pi Mai. Worst is Feb/March.