Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

looking for a great hotel in K.L./ Lost camera!!!!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks,
Planning another trip to Asia starting in Oct. This time looking to fly into K.L.and see the city
for a week if thats enough?Air Asia has lots of cheep flights out of K.L. looks like a good base.
Does anyone have a fav.hotel there? Looking for something like the Aldelphi in Bangkok.
Has anyone been in Oct??
P.S. I lost my 35mm Cannon Rebel camera in a taxi in Yangon in Jan. Left it in a taxi waited 2 hrs for the drivers return he never did.My 3 months worth of photos were on the card ugh!!! So sad!!!!
Anyone have any ideas????
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 09:46 AM

If the pictures on your memory card is of significant value to you then offer a reward in a local newspaper and keep your fingers crossed. Apart from that, always keep your camera harnessed to your body!
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Hey,I took it off from around my neck to pay the driver. Wasnt feeling that great and,thats was it!I went to the Police station as well as
all the hotels in the area with my name and Email with a reward amount.
Nothing! Ugh!
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 10:05 AM

C'est la vie!
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 11:07 AM

Sorry about your losing your photos. We always carry a laptop with us, and use that to back-up photos daily. We used to cary a portable hard drive to back-up photos.

As far as KL is concerned, 1 week is about 5 days too long there, IMO. I do not find it an interesting city, and I've visited several times. I keep thinking I'll uncover something fascinating. Not so far. With KL as the Air Asia hub, it is a good place to base yourself for other areas of SE Asia.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 11:21 PM

Sorry to hear of the loss of your camera. I know how you feel as I had mine stolen last year in Ecuador. Fortunately, I had backed up most of the photos to an iPad and only lost a few days worth of pictures. I fear the chances of you getting your camera back are next to zero.

As for KL hotels, you have a lot to choose from and they still seem to be really good value. The Mandarin Oriental is fantastic and god value for a hotel of that quality. For something similar to The Adelphi in Bangkok, have a look at http://www2.the-ascott.com/en/malays...la_lumpur.html .we stayed there a few years ago and it was fine. I think it has recently been refurbished.

I like KL as a city and would have no problem spending a week there and it would make a great base for getting to other places. It doesn't match Bangkok for sights and attractions but there is a lot to see there, you just have to did a bit deeper. The food there is superb and probably the most varied in SE Asia.
Old Mar 9th, 2014, 12:28 AM

While in VN my camera was stolen by the hotel staff. They owned the hotel.
Old Mar 9th, 2014, 07:37 AM

a week is way too long for sure .. 2-3 days is plenty.

we like the Sheraton imperial..
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 04:58 PM

Spent two days in KL and that was enough: saw the mosque, the Towers, the bird park. It's a nice enough bird park, but still a bird park.

I LOVED Georgetown, Penang (an easy flight from KL) and Langkawi (an easy flight from Georgetown) though.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 07:17 PM
kja

It's a long shot, but check out http://www.camerafound.com

And a tip for anyone who reads this thread: Always make the first picture on each memory card, and your camera's internal memory if it has any, a picture of a message saying how to reach you if the camera or memory card is found.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of u!!!