Loi Krathong Questions

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loi Krathong Questions

Kathie, you said you watched the fireworks from your hotel room. Does that mean you missed watching everyone place their floats on the water or is that done on a different day or later at night?

Do the hotels jack up their prices during this festival?

What time do the festivities take place? If I do make it back to Thailand in Nov. we would arrive on Nov. 4th and the jet lag can be intense. I would probably set myself on fire as I tried to place my float in the water!

Where is the best place to be? I would rather not be in an elbow to elbow crowd but I do like to be near some good festivities!

Thanks!

Tamara
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:23 AM

tamara....we are going to be at the hilton that nite and hope to meet up with kathie who will arrive the nite before i guess....perhaps we could all have an early dinner that nite before the fireworks...

in fact maybe you guys would all be on the same plane from portland/seattle??
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:24 AM

my rate at hilton is $170 which i am not happy with at the moment, but i have seen it for less on the discount sites....

all rates will have changed on nov 1 to the higher rates for the peak season...
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Tamara, people place their floats on the water earlier than the fire works (at least that was my experience - maybe they continue through the fireworks). There are also lighted boats on the river. We watched them for several nights before Loy Krathong. Also, when we returned from Borneo, there were still some fireworks at night, though not the huge display that we saw on the night of Loy Krathong.

In terms of hotel prices, we had reserved for multiple nights, and didn't find the prices any different. But I expect if you were reserving for just one night, it might be more. I do know that the hotel was entirely full.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Hi Tamara,

It seems like me that you can't wait to get back to Thailand!

I was in Bangkok for two nights over Loy Krathong last year and the hotel rate was the same as it was when we stayed for a night a few weeks later.

All the riverside hotels had special dinners at hiked prices. We had planned to do a river dinner cruise (again very inflated price) in order to see some of the fireworks displays and what was happening on the river. However, my partner was sick and we had to cancel the dinner cruise.
I managed to get him out of his bed long enough to float our Krathongs from the landing pier of our hotel. It was quite breezy on the river and our candles on our Krathongs were snuffed out almost as soon as they floated off down the river.

I never found out if there was a really special place to be on the night that's why we were opting for the river cruise.

I would have quite liked to have found a place where there were lots of local people putting their krathongs in the water.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 03:57 AM

On Loy Krathong there must be something between 40 and 50million in the sea, rivers, almost anythere there is water, so wherever you are in Thailand you will enjoy, in resort areas most hotels and resorts have a special evening dinner etc, it's a great time. Even in the smallest village it's great.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 07:42 AM
pat

just out of curiosity, do other countries in Asia also celebrate Loi Krathong?