Li Family Restaurant

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Li Family Restaurant

We currently have reservations to eat dinner there but I am a bit concerned about the food. Has anyone eaten there before? I am a very picky eater and not sure if we should go...help.
Dana
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:58 AM

where is it? we may not know it by name
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Dana, to my regret we didn't eat there while we were in Beijing. However,
the link below will take you to an extensive review, complete with photos. Out of curiosity - is it all restaurants in China that concern you, or do you have a particular reason to worry about this one?
http://forums.egullet.com/lofiversio...hp/t50341.html
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi Neil- that link was soooo helpful. I am worried about all restaurants in China since when we were on our honeymoon in Bali, we got very sick from eating the local food and ended up with Bali Belly - not fun at all if u have ever heard about it.
I can always eat veggies, noodles and rice if need be, but i am very worried about getting sick and eating some kind of exotic food and it not sitting well with me. To put things in plain terms, I have the taste buds of a 3 year old...How can i navigate Chinese cuisine???

The Li Family restaurant is in Bejing.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:57 PM

one of our best meals in Beijing was just a simple family restaurant and my kids and I dove right into the delicious dumplings and pot stickers with nary a tummy ache after. Although we did have to get over the thin plastic table coverings and the wet plates... we just simply took out our kleenex and started wiping. Just stay away from ice and drink bottled water - but make sure the seal hasn't been broken.

Re food in China's major cities, there are tons of Micky D's, KFC, there's even Tony Roma's and an Outback Steakhouse. For a really good burger and shake, try Grandma's Kitchen - near the U.S.Embassy.

Eating in China was a great adventure - we didn't have a bad meal there in 10 days and we did not have to use our Immodium once... by the way, my daughter's boyfriend is allergic to peanuts - he just showed them a card written in chinese - and everyone was very cordial and assured us that they use vegetable oil now instead of peanut oil.

Bon apetit!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 07:21 AM

don't ever think in terms of ice in SE asia or china....this is an accident waiting to happen....
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I am currently looking into all different kinds of restaurants online and find that a large portion have menus which I am thrilled about.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 10:29 PM

Bali Belly, Delhi Belly, yes - it's always a risk for the unwary. We ate our way through several cities in China, including quite a few food stalls, without a problem, although I was briefly constipated both there and Vietnam - my wife puts this down to my natural contrariness.

However, Dana, it sounds as though you're especially sensitive, so I can understand your concern. Most Chinese food of course isn't nearly as spicy as Indonesian food, which I love, although Sichuan cuisine can be hot. If you cope OK with Chinese restaurants at home I think you're unlikely to have a problem. It would be a very great pity though to visit the home of one of the world's great cuisines and end up in a McDonalds or KFC ... achhh!

We did have a nice fixed-price meal which I'm pretty sure wouldn't be at all challenging for you at a place called the Noble Restaurant, by one of the Back Lakes in Beijing. If you drop me an email I can send you an image of their business card.

DMary, just as long as nobody confuses Outback Steakhouse fare with Australian food - I haven't eaten in one, but all the report I've seen are that any connection with Australia goes no further than the name. (Come to think of it, in the actual Outback you'd have a better chance of finding a Chinese restaurant than a steakhouse.)
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

My husband is currently in Shanghai for business and I am going to meet him in a few days and he keeps on telling me how I am going to have a very hard time eating since he is the most adventurous eater i know and he's having problems. I will most probably cancel the Li Family restaurant since i rather pay for a dinner that i will enjoy rather than pay for ai meal i can't eat and then end up at McDonalds.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Li Family restaurant's food is so spicy that I couldn't eat it. Neither could our friends. I thought a ripoff.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Maybe it's because we're Chinese, albeit american-born, but we didn't have any problems with the food in China at all, especially in Shanghai where the food tends towards being saltier (lots of soy sauce and braised recipes). The further north you go, the spicier. The food does tend to be a bit more oilier (sp) then here at home but that's why you drink the tea and have rice with your meals - both absorbs the oil. It is a pity to go all the way to china and end up in a western chain restaurant.

Question... How did you find the Li Family Restaurant - was it recommended?
When we went, we asked the locals and with the help of the concierge at the hotels, we really did rather well and like I said did not have a bad meal or experience. AND we didn't have to eat anything we weren't used to.... unfortunately for my husband who actually wanted to try a skewered set of scorpions but we pulled him away.

Neil: I happened on the Outback while using the restrooms at the Beijing Hotel (before heading off to Tiananmen Sq) --never been in one although we have several here in Northern Calif and they're extremely popular but I figure they're as authentic as a Panda Express! Hope to visit Australia next year and looking forward to all the BBQ'd kangaroo meat! By the way, I still believe my little restaurant in Berkeley holds the title - Best Peking Duck in the world!
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

I found the restaurant in the book "1000 places to see before you die". The book hasn't steered us wrong yet, but just not sure I can stomach some of the dishes. That being said, we are going to a Peiking Opera where they are going to serve us some authentic cuisine. Should be an experience. We'll ask our concierge for some recomendations for Chinese restaurants once we're there - hopefully they'll be able to steer us to a great restaurant.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:16 PM

We stayed at the Peninsula Palace in Beijing - they have a really nice Chinese restaurant - Huang Ting - the decor and the service brings back scenes of eating at an old time chinese restaurant - with bird cages and lanterns. The food is somewhere between cantonese and shanghai cuisines with really good dim sum dishes and dumplings.

Just remember, you don't have to order snake or monkey brains just because you're in China especially if you have a sensitive stomach - there's a whole list of very recognizable and traditional dishes like sweet and sour pork.

Have a great time - we did!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:37 AM

forget Li Family... very "has been"

Try
Red Capital Club 6402-7150
Fu Jia Lou 8403-7831
Din Tai Fung 6462-4502

You'll need to have concierge call and get an address written in Chinese for your taxi driver.

200-1500 Yuan for a meal in Beijing... HA! that's my weekly grocery bill here!

If you want to splurge on a great fusion restuarant overlooking the Forbidden City, go to The Courtyard 6526-8823. Very Pricey..figure a week's worth of groceries for dinner for 2 including wine and desseret.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

hi BChen- i have heard about The Courtyard - might try it - we're only going to be in china once...