Search

Tastiest strange food in China?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tastiest strange food in China?

Guys
I'm always up for trying something unique and tasty. I'm heading to China next week and was wondering for those who have already been there what is the strangest, yet tastiest treat you have tried? Insects? Any weird sea animals? Weird Intestines? Hopefully noone here has tried Dog and Cat.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:05 PM

Most of the weird stuff doesn't taste good. My dad has an interesting theory that if an animal tastes good, humans would have domesticated it eons ago. I think he's right, for the most part.

I think perhaps some game meat may be quite tasty to some. In southern china, the Barking Deer is pretty popular. Can't think of anything else.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 07:19 AM

I had dragonflies in Lijiang, nothing to write home about really.

http://www.travelsinasia.com/China/China.htm
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 02:10 PM

As an aside, Chinese restaurants have been established in Australia since the Gold Rush days, and for most of that time it was firmly believed by some that stray cats sometimes ended up in the woks. This didn't stop anyone ordering chicken chow mein, I might add, and my attitude was that I'd take my hat off to any cook who could make cat taste like chicken.

Actually there was never a documented case of a health inspector turning up evidence of any such practice, but facts never get in the way of urban legends. These days, of course, chicken is so cheap that you'd be mad to chase a stray cat down the alley.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 03:54 AM

It's not as exotic as bugs, but I tried something interesting and tasty at this restaurant in Shanghai that specialized in northeastern cuisine. It was bone marrow! The bone is stewed for hours with the meat still attached. It's served standing on a plate with a short straw in the bone so you can suck on the juice. It was like thick, rich soup. A little salty but good. It was very popluar and sold out early.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Hi

I have never really had the urge to try dog and I have never seen it on the menu either. But why is it that eating dog is any worse than eating a pig, sheep or cow? In Bolivia and Peru one of the national dish is fried guinea pig. For me that's a bit strange as we keep them as pets here but is it really any different eating a guinea pig compared to a chicken?

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures