Le Meridien or the Shangri-la in KL?

Dec 8th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Le Meridien or the Shangri-la in KL?

Hi all,

Spending two nights in KL with my family. We plan to stay either at the Shangri-la, or at Le Meridien. Does anyone have a preference because of experience, or due to hotel location. We intend to do a bit of sightseeing with two children, aged 10 and 14. We have to fly out from KLIA back to the UK at 1015am after the second night. I believe that Le Meridien is situated at the KL Sentral railway station, and that we could use the KLIA Express train in the morning. Should this be a crucial factor in deciding which hotel? Thanks.
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:13 AM

The Shangri-La is huge - I wouldn't stay there. I'm not sure where LeMeridien is. The hotel above the train station is the Hilton. Don't worry about proximity to catch the train, it's a short taxi ride from anywhere.

My recommendation is the Ritz Carlton (US$126 for an Executive room - huge). Read my recent report on KL, entitled Kathie goes to KL for more detail about the Ritz.
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:46 AM

The LeMeridien is situated next door to the Hilton (both hotels look identical from the outside but are furnished differently) above Sentral Station. I wouldn't stay at Sentral but at one of the hotels in the Golden Triangle and use a car service to either Sentral or direct to the airport in the morning. As you are travelling with two children have you considered staying at a serviced apartment like the Ascott, MiCasa, Crown Regency or a hotel with apartments like the Westin.
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:05 AM

I'm a big fan of the Shangri La in KL, particularly now after its multi milllion dollar complete makeover. In fact I'm a big fan of all of the Shangri La hotels I've been fortunate enough to stop in. I think the Le Meridien is a new hotel. The standard Le Meriden hotels tend to be more of a good 4* standard. (The "le Royal" tag usually gets applied to their swanky 5* hotels. for example in Thailand - The "Le Royal Merdien Phuket Yacht Club" is a bit swankier than the nearby "Meriden Phuket hotel")

The Shangri La in KL has an excellent reputation and if you like big glitzy hotels (and i know not everyone does) then I would suggest you pick it.

I did a review of the Shangri La hotel for epinions a couple of years back. The link is - http://www.epinions.com/content_128644386436
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:07 AM

As for getting to the KLIA railway station, which is a bit away from the hub of KL. Very easy from the Shangri La - Just take one of the large taxis or a hotel Limo - both of which will be queuing up outside the lobby 24 hours a day.
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I will take on board the suggestions. It seems a better idea to stay in the Golden Triangle area. I do happen to like glitzy hotels, so it may be the Shangri-la...Thanks Walter!! Thanks for the KLIA transfer information. I will certainly have a look at serviced apartments as David suggests...an interesting idea for the family. Just read Kathie' s review on KL....given me plenty of ideas. I realise now how easy and reasonably priced taxi transfers are in KL. You have all given me the information which I need....Thanks again
Dec 11th, 2004, 03:24 AM

scousemouse,

Since your party has 4 persons, it would be cheaper taking a taxi to KLIA. The fare for the train at KL Sentral is RM35 each, whereas if you take the hotel cab it'll be around RM90 for the whole cab.

With the cab you also have door-to-door service, instead of having to deal with the luggage from hotel to KL Sentral to KLIA.
Dec 12th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi jchong,

Thanks very much for the transfer information. I was considering a transfer by the express train, but I will definitely take a taxi to the hotel now. Am I correct in assuming that a taxi voucher has to be obtained in the arrivals hall at KLIA before arranging a taxi?

Thanks
Dec 12th, 2004, 06:21 AM

You do need to get a taxi voucher in the arrivals hall.

With four people and your luggage will you all be able to fit in one of those taxis? If not, then the train will be cheaper. If I remember correctly (I don't seem to have it in my notes), a taxi from the airport to downtown was more like RM110 or 120 just a few weeks ago.
Dec 13th, 2004, 05:19 AM

There are two different taxi's from KLIA - Budget which is a Proton Wira or Premier which can be a Mercedes, Proton Perdana or Multi-Purpose Vehicle. A couple of weeks ago it was 70MYR for budget or 90MYR to the Golden Triangle. Buy the coupon after customs but before leaving the arrivals hall. The despatcher will put you in the appropriate car for your party.
Dec 13th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie and David. I appreciate your comments. We hope to be travelling lightly, but with children that probably is just a hope!! I will obtain the taxi voucher after customs...Thanks again.