Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

A KL, Malaysia hotel question: can any of the experts recommend ShangriLa over Mandarin O?

A KL, Malaysia hotel question: can any of the experts recommend ShangriLa over Mandarin O?

Jan 5th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

We are a family with 3 kids. I've heard great reviews on both hotels, but read that only the club floors of the SL were recently renovated. I've booked regular rooms on a regular floor. Shall I switch over to the MO?
Jan 6th, 2005, 03:45 AM

I stayed in Shangri La KL last year. It was f-a-n-tastic. The rooms are regular but dont miss out on the breakfast buffet. I have never seen a spread like that before. Japanese food, local food, dim sum, noodles, pancakes, waffles, and even a CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN. hee hee...burp. oops, excuse me...
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:29 AM

The whole hotel (Shangri La) received a top to bottom refit and in many places complete redesign. Would agree with previous poster FANTASTIC. I've done a full review on epinions web site

The link is http://www.epinions.com/content_128644386436

Little tip - join the Golden Circle loyalty club at the shangri La group's web site and things like a continental breakfast each morning will be free.

Both the oriental and the shangri la are big hotels and pretty glamourous, but I find the staff at the shangri la very friendly. The Oriental is newer, but the Shangri La's top to bottom makeover means it is more up to date.
Jan 7th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Any more input? I am leaning toward the Shangri La but worried about the location. Is Mandarin location way better?
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:26 PM

GodsGift:

MO is just 5-10 minutes away from the Shanggri La. You can walk from the MO across to the Shangri La

Cheers
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:44 PM

We can't comment on the Shangri-La in KL, but we just stayed at the Oriental. It is hard to imagine a better location, especially with kids (the KLCC is next door with shops, restaurants, an amazing bookstore and even a movie theatre if the kids are itching to see a film). The Oriental is also next door to the Petronas Towers (if you do stay, request a Petronas view room). The rooms and bathrooms are so stylish and luxurious -- we loved it.
Jan 7th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Great to hear good reviews of the MO. We are booked for 3 nights in February !