Layover in Shanghai PuDong Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 6-7 hour layover in Shanghai and was wondering if that is enough time for me to take a quick dash into the city via the Mag Train and back. Looking to get some real good Shanghai dumplings and then return for my connection flight.

It has been some time since I have flown into Shanghai and have forgotten how long it takes to clear customs to get out to the city and how much time I should set aside prior so I have a good safe margin of error getting through customs and security for the continuing flight.

Insights into feasibility and also any recs for good local dumpling place appreciated. Thx in advance.

SBS
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:20 PM

If you have not experienced the MagLev train, then maybe you could consider that. I know it wont take you right in to the city centre, but it it really is an experience. Around seven minutes from the airport to the city station. Others may know of dumpling places around there.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:41 PM

I recommend you go to People's Square (Metro Line 2 - Green colour) and head for East Nanjing Rd (Nanjing Dong Lu) which is also known as "The Shopping Street" - you will know why when you get here). Look for a chain restaurant called Daniang Dumpling (Red label with 2 braided pigtails girl). Close to McDonald's. Walk around there and the park (People's Park) for a bit, you'll get enough local vibe (well,blend of expats and locals on the outside). Good Luck and ... have fun!

ps: if you ever get lost and no one speaks English, there's a 5-star hotel nearby (top building looks like an alien spaceship) to ask for directions.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM

I ate in this Daniang Dumpling on Nanjing Rd. not too long ago.
This is a fast food restaurant for shoppers who want filling and fairly inexpensive meal.
Service was poor, most tables were greasy.
Pork w/leeks dumpling, pork w/celery dumpling, pork w/bokchoy........panfried or boiled were RMB5 for 6 pieces.
I also had a beef w/Chinese vermicelli soup for RMB8.