Layover In Hong Kong

Search

Layover In Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Layover In Hong Kong

I am thinking about laying over in Hong Kong for 1 or 2 days. Questions: Any problems for a single woman in Hong Kong? Anything specific you would suggest I do with such limited time? Any lodging recommendations? I have lots of Hyatt and Hilton points.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 11:30 AM

1. No problem at most places. Except some "saunas" and "karaoke bars" are actually something else. I don't think you'll be visiting those places to start with.

2. Lots you can do in a day or two. Many threads on this board. There's really no "must do" in Hong Kong. Some want to do shopping, some go up to the Peak and to Stanley, some want to see the Big Buddha.

3. Hyatt has two properties in Hong Kong. The Hyatt Regency in Tsimshatsui has excellent location, but the hotel is old and worn. They will tear it down soon to build a shopping mall. The Grand Hyatt is very nice, but its location at the Convention Center isn't the most convenient for touring.

Hilton's only property in Hong Kong is the Conrad. Very very nice hotel on the upper floors of an office tower over the Pacific Mall, connected to the Admiralty MTR station.

I'd take the Conrad.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response. I have to admit I have not done my homework yet -- I assume the airport is close to the Conrad?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 11:32 AM

I meant to type "saunas", "karaokes" and "internet bars"...
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 11:37 AM

The Conrad is in Central - the central business district of Hong Kong. It's about 25 miles from the airport. There's the Airport Express train direct from the airport terminal to Central, which takes 23 minutes, and HK$100 (US$13) one-way. Then it's a short taxi ride (fairly inexpensive) to the Conrad, or you can use a free shuttle from the AE station.

There are other ways to go to the city from the airport. From taxis (~HK$350 or US$45) to buses (~HK$40 or US$5) to hotel shuttles (HK$140 or US$18). Depends on your budget.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 05:19 AM

High Tea at the Peninsula and the tea buffet at the Grand Hyatt are fabulous. Grand Hyatt is right by the Star Ferry, which will take you back and forth to Tsimsatsui for Nathan road shopping and sightseeing. We loved the early bird special at the Felix rest. located in the Peninsula; superb food, great views and value. Have fun!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:15 AM

I see from your previous posts that your trip is in April 2006, and is part of a trip to Bhutan and for your 50th birthday. With that in mind, some suggestions:

1. Do a little reading on Hong Kong so you can decide on what you want to do. I personally think at least 2 and better 3 full days in Hong Kong is needed to really appreciate the city. In addition to the major sights like the Peak, Star Ferry, etc there are lots of other things to see and do. A lot of people think of Hong Kong primarily for shopping, but many don't realize that 40% of Hong Kong is national park with some excellent easy walks as well as strenuous hikes. You can also sample cuisines from all over the world, see pink dolphins in their habitat, visit museums, have acupuncture, etc. There are a broad range of choices available. At a minimum, click on Destinations above and read what Fodors has put together. The Fodors guidebook on Hong Kong is excellent as well. The Luxe guide is a very concise but good breakdown of highlights as well.

2. One of the major festivals of the year is Ching Ming, held in early April each year, it is the grave sweeping festival. This year the festival is Wednesday, 5 April. It is a public holiday, which means most people have the day off, and banks, schools, etc are closed. If you are here for that, you should plan a few hours at a local cemetery to observe rituals; as this is something you won't see in many other places outside of Hong Kong or the PRC.

3. Hong Kong is extremely safe and very easy to get around as a single traveler. Signs are in English, public transport is excellent and cheap. Taxis are very cheap and the level of English is quite good. Crime is virtually non-existent.

4. Normally I would agree that that Grand Hyatt is a pain to get to and from, as it is not that quite conveniently located (even for the ferry.) However, the hotel just built THE MOST AMAZING SPA, called the Plateau. You can even book a room for overnight treatments. Honestly, it takes a lot to impress me in a spa, but this place is really something. If you have points and can stay there, it would defiantly be worth looking into. I could see this as a well-deserved respite from a trek in Bhutan and a birthday gift as well. . . .

5. Nothing is near the airport, as it is out on its own island (actually Disney is near the airport). The airport is about 45 minutes from the downtown hotels, either by taxi or by the Airport Express Train or by a hotel bus.

5. The weather will be warm to hot and humid, heading toward quite hot and humid the later in the month. Take a look at weatherbase.com and worldclimate.com for historical average temps and rainfall. However, air conditioning in restaurants, hotels and public transport like buses can be freezing so bring a sweater just in case. A folding umbrella is also extremely useful.