Last minute Bangkok tips

Oct 25th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Last minute Bangkok tips

OK, if all goes well we will be going to Bangkok this Thursday, as a last-minute 5 day getaway. Thanks to everyone already for your tips. I just have some last miute questions:

1) Have any of you gone to see the Thai Boxing? Was it enjoyable? (I'm hoping this will be so for my husband).

2) Have any of you gone to either the Elephant Conservation Center and done the one-day experience, or to the National Park and done the elephant ride there? How was it?

3) How late are markets open? We love to shop and would hate to do so during the day if we can do it (drunkenly!) at night.

Sorry if any of this is pedestrian to any of you. I'm in the Middle East right now and since we planned this at the last minute I have no way of getting a decent guidebook before the trip. Thanks!
Oct 25th, 2004, 06:24 PM

Just read some posts on Lonely Planet that Patpong Road (bars & markets) are closing earlier and earlier. We plan to shop after we fly in so are hoping markets are still open at midnight. I'm starting to doubt it! Let us know will you, pls? Have a wonderful short break!
Oct 25th, 2004, 09:04 PM

I went to a Thai boxing match in Bangkok. I thought it was worthwhile (but not really into that sort of thing) - my husband thought it was actually enjoyable. It is a neat experience, just to see the sport. The betting that goes on in the stands is fascinating to watch in itself. And, the segregation of tourists that goes on there is interesting.

You could search this board for information about elephant experiences. I remember seeing a lot about it, but didn't do it myself.

There are many night markets - they seemed to line all of the touristy streets. Not just by the bars (Patpong area?). You should be able to find vendors and stalls everywhere. We saw them setting up early - maybe 5 p.m.? And, we shopped until midnight, but they were still going strong.
Oct 25th, 2004, 10:53 PM

Stores like Central Chitlom (where u MUST go), the Emporium Mall, etc are open until 10 tho a few specific shops may close at 9. The Suan Lum Night Bazaar - IMO a MUST go also - starts at around 6:30 and is open until about 10:30. Some stall start shutting down around that time tho it is really traffic based - if it is busy they may well stay open later.
Oct 27th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! One more day to go...

Search this Thread