Laos Itinerary

Search

Laos Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2024, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laos Itinerary

Hi there. Heading to Laos for the first time next month and due to different life situations that have come up I have neglected to work out the details. I was going to go with the very touristy Vientiane (1-2 days), Vang Vien (2 days) and then Luang Prabang for 3-4 days. However, someone I recently was connected with suggested Luang Prabang --> train to Oudomxay--> Pak beng and then take a boat trip back to Luang Prabang. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about that. If we go with that itinerary I would have to cut out Vientiane and Vang Vien. Any advise you would be able to provide would be appreciated.

Thank you. '

Jeanette
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 08:35 PM

I have been to all those places but it was a few years ago when Laos was a quiet sleepy backwater that few visited. Our neices are currently travelling through Laos en route to Cambodia. I was chatting with them only yesterday and they are having a great time, though they are twenty something backpackers and their idea of a great time is a little different from mine🥹.

I wouldn’t necessarily describe Vientiane as "very touristy", boring perhaps? One of the less interesting SE Asian cities IMHO. Vang Vieng, is set in some stunning scenery though from what I saw yesterday is overrun with backpackers. It was/ is the adventure call Italy of Laos - great place for a hot air balloon ride, tubing, zip lining etc.

Luang Prabang is a stunning, small city with a lot going. Again, VERY busy with tourists these days but definitely worth a few days. Not trip to Laos would be complete without it.

We have done the boat trip down the Mekong from the Thai border a couple , pleasant enough if the fields are not being burnt ( usually starts in March), but it is a means to an end rather than a trip in it own right. I doubt I would get the train too OudaoxmAi, just to get teh boat back. Pake being is just a normal town halfway between the Thai border and LP.

Fir me teh best of Laos was to be found in the far north. There are some wonderfully scenic areas and small towns in the hills and mountains. places like Luang Namtha, Phongsali, Muang Sing, Muang Ngoi etc…The best way to go would be to hire a guide or get a tour starting in LP. It does take time and from what your say you may not have a enough of that in Lao but it may be worth making a few enquiries.

Other areas to consider might be the Bolavens Plateau and Si Phan Don (4000 islands) in the south though that may be difficult to get to . The train didn’t exist teh last time we were there so perhaps that will make it easier.
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. So many places to see, so little time.