Laos & Cambodia guesthouses & guides

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're traveling next week. Anyone have suggestions for clean, inexpensive guesthouses in Luang Prabang, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh? How about English speaking guides?
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:22 AM

I stayed at the Somjith Guest House in LP. Very quiet and very inexpensive. It had a large room with fan. Air conditioning is not necessary in the winter.

I stayed at Auberge Mont Royal in the deluxe room in SR. Very nice, swimming pool, great breakfast and ideal location. Here is the website link:

http://www.auberge-mont-royal.com/

If you are looking for something less expensive you might try the Phuket Hostel. While we were in town we ate at the restaurant there and I asked to see the rooms. They were very nice and large as well! Cheap and VERY central. You can read about it at this link:

http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-phuket.htm

A great guide in SR is Saron Soeun! He is very knowledgable and speaks flawless English. You can reach him through his website:

www.sarontours.com

We used him and a driver for 2 1/2 days. If I had to do it again I would hire a guide for a day or two max and then a driver for the next day or two.

I highly recommend a trip out to Tonle Sap Lake! That was one of the highlights of our 4 nights in SR. Also ask Saron to take you to Angkor Wat at sunrise. We arrived early, got an ideal spot by the water and took some amazing photos!

You can visit my photos of LP and SR at www.windjammer.smugmug.com.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Just got back from Siem Reap. We stayed at the Angkor Victoria, a wonderful hotel, not a guest house. But I came across a incredible guest house -The Hanumanalaya. Rooms are $50-$85. Exotic tropical public areas. Small pool. A cute cafe/restaurant. Near the Sofitel - includes access to their pool and gym. Didn't see the rooms, but I looked on their website and I think this place is a find. (The antique shop on the premises is also excellent and was recommended to me by a collector friend.)
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:58 AM

rheinrich1
I answered your question about this that you posted under my trip report.
J
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM

For SR, we met a driver named Chhay Vanny through our hotel. Young, local with an older model Toyota. He works with and arranges sightseeing with an excellent, tireless accredited guide for Angkor Wat and the river improbably named ‘Mr. X’ that everyone in the town seemed to know and respect. [email protected]. 855 12 57 34 24, 855 11 960 870. Good guys.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:48 PM

Sophanna was an amazing guide in Sr. I stayed in Angkor Lion Hotel, but I can't say I would recommend it. Although the restaurant is staffed with the daughters of parents hurt/ killed from the land mines. They were wonderful.

[email protected]
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:17 AM

re: guides, my earlier post excluded the contact info for Mr. X. His contact information is (855) 12 94 13 81, email [email protected]. Again, a fantastic guide.