Kyoto Restaurants in the Granvia area

Jul 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Kyoto Restaurants in the Granvia area

We'll be in Kyoto for a week staying at the Granvia. We will probably eat at places in the station 3 if not 4 nights (rainy or when we're just too tired). Looking for suggestions--Japanese only--sushi, tonkatsu, soba, udon, ramen, tempura, etc. We're game for all.
Jul 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM

The Granvia itself has some high-end Japanese restaurants that are quite good but expensive. There is also a cheap/moderate conveyor-belt-style sushi restaurant in the train station. The entrance to the latter is outside, in the plaza area that faces the bus pick-up area.
Jul 30th, 2008, 05:33 PM

There are literally floors of Japanese restaurants in and around Kyoto Station. On the 11th and 12th floors above the station are where the really good restaurants are. Wakuden is one which is highly recommended. Here is their website but all in Japanese.

http://www.wakuden.jp/index_pc.html

There is Moritaya, a Sukiyaki restaurant on the 11th floor of the station. We also ate lunch at one place on the top floor....I don't recall the name but the food was great. There is a small Japanese coffee shop out the front of the station and across the street where you can have a cheap Japanese breakfast.....and there are a plethora of Japanese ramen, udon,bento, etc. shops throughout the station area. You won't be at a loss for somewhere to eat Japanese food in the Kyoto Station, believe me, I think there are over 150 places to eat in the station area alone.

Aloha!
Jul 31st, 2008, 02:53 AM

Another vote for a conveyer-belt sushi in The Cube building next to the station. Quite high quality with big fish to rice ratio!
Aug 16th, 2008, 01:54 AM

Yay the kaiten sushi shop on the ground floor. Also there's the whole floor of Ramen shops upstairs (11th floor I think ) and the underground food court down the escalator in front of the station, etc. etc.
Will be there again in 4 weeks -yum!
Aug 31st, 2008, 12:38 PM

The 11th and 12th floors are great. Some of the non japanese restaurants are pretty good as well. Specifically a tapas restaurant, and the Chinese restaurant was very good. Was disappointed by the yakitori restaurant.