Kyoto Itinerary Feedback

Oct 30th, 2019, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Kyoto Itinerary Feedback

Hello! Trying to have a good plan in place for our time in Kyoto (and surrounding area). We are visiting in about 3-4 wks. This is what I am planning. I want to have a good plan in place and will be flexible to how we (and our kids) feel as we tour around. Is this too aggressive? My DH and I are traveling with our 9 and 6 year old kids. Any suggestions for a better order or grouping to the sights to be more efficient with travel time between locations? Any must see sights I have left off? I was trying to incorporate seeing the night time illumnations on 2 different nights as you can see. The first day I am expecting us to be jet lagged and possibly up early (since Kyoto is our first stop in Japan) and therefore that is why I chose Fushimi Inari Shrine first on the first day.

Day 1: AM: Fushimi Inari Shrine // Tofuku-ji // Tsutenkyo Bridge // Nishiki Market
PM: Daimaru Basement // Shijo-Dori // end with Eikan-do for night illuminations (could also do on Day 3)

Day 2: AM: Kyoto Tower (near our accomodations) // Ginkakuji // Tetsugaku-no-Micki
PM: Sanneizaka + Nineinzaka // Kiyomizu-dera (8pm)(and Optional: Kodai-ji Temple) for night time illuminations

Day 3: AM: Arashiyama: Bamboo Grove // Okochi-Sanso Villa // Tenryuji Temple // Togetsukyo Bridge // Iwatana Monkey Park
PM: Kinkaku-ji Shrine // Tea Ceremony at En Tea Room

Day 4: AM: Himeji Castle // Koko-en
PM: Wander Around (Optional: Ninja & Samarai museum) // Gion Tour (6pm)

Day 5: Nara

Thank you for your feedback!
Nov 5th, 2019, 07:01 PM

Youíve noted many of the Kyoto highlights. My first strong impression is that Iím not sure itís physically possible to do everything youíre trying to do in the time allotted. (Your day 1 morning feels impossible to me). Your two small kids in tow will invariably impact your profess as well.

My beat advice would be to select your top 2 items for each day to see/visit. If you find you have extra time, great. If you donít, you wonít feel as rushed and feeling you missed many critical things. FWIW, my absolute favorite site after two trips to Kyoto was climbing Fushimi Inari in a light drizzle. It was magical and spiritual.
Nov 6th, 2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by MinnBeef View Post
FWIW, my absolute favorite site after two trips to Kyoto was climbing Fushimi Inari in a light drizzle. It was magical and spiritual.
Been reading your reports for my upcoming trip to Kyoto.

I can imagine the atmospheric lighting must be great for photography. BTW, are your photographs online?
Nov 6th, 2019, 10:31 AM

Hi there. Glad you are finding my trip reports helpful. No, Iím afraid my photos are not online. But trust me, you will love Fushimi Inari. As well as kyoto overall. One of my 5 favorite world cities Iíve traveled to.
Nov 6th, 2019, 12:14 PM

I will only have four and a half days in Kyoto. My itinerary will try to dodge the November crowds, avoid temples/shrines fatique, and restrain from overeating Kinkakuji and Fushimi Inari are at the bottom of my list, and only if I get bored elsewhere.
Nov 6th, 2019, 07:48 PM
kja

Originally Posted by planwell View Post
Kinkakuji and Fushimi Inari are at the bottom of my list, and only if I get bored elsewhere.
Interesting. Many of us consider Fushimi Inari to be among Kyoto's most outstanding gems, and that says a lot, given the number of gems that city holds! To each his/her own.
Nov 7th, 2019, 07:19 AM

These Instagram "gems" (in every country) are overrun by the tourists. After forgettable experiences at the Great Wall in China, Sagrada FamŪlia and Alhambra in Spain, I swore I will avoid such "gems". Once away from them, I had truly memorable experiences in Beijing, Barcelona and Granada.

Yes, to each his/her own

Last edited by planwell; Nov 7th, 2019 at 07:24 AM.