Kyoto hotels: feedback, please?

Jan 2nd, 2017, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Kyoto hotels: feedback, please?

My 5-week trip to Japan will begin with 6 nights in Kyoto (arrive at KIX from HKG at 1400 on 4 March, and then train to Kyoto).

Using the good advice given on another thread about how to search for hotels, I've been looking for ~$100/night in Kyoto (Kawaramachi neighborhood?) for the nights of March 4-9, departing March 10.

I have on hold via booking.com:

1. Royal Park Hotel The Kyoto, $96/night, 214 ft^2 room
2. Hotel Vista Premio Kyoto, $112/night, 194 ft^2 room

Does anyone have comments regarding the relative merits of these hotels?

Also -- and this may not be a "Fodor" question -- does anyone have experience with the nearby "Piece Hostel Sanjo" or other Kyoto hostels?

(I plan to use hostels for about half my nights in Japan; perhaps that is a topic for a different thread).

Thank you!
Jan 2nd, 2017, 04:22 PM

I took a real quick look at booking.com - I saw that Hotel MyStays was available - did you take a look at that one? I think I also mentioned it in your other post. I'm not familiar with those two hotels...I usually stay at a Toyoko Inn - there are a couple of good locations in Kyoto - but six nights in a small room might not be too great....
Jan 3rd, 2017, 01:08 AM

Location of both is right by my preferred option around there, the Kyoto Royal Hotel and Spa. Yours has a higher feedback rating on booking.com so I'd go with that. (Unlike tripadvisor, only those who have booked via booking.com and had confirmed stays in the properties are able to leave reviews).

I would go by room amenities, reviews (both get great scores so look at the detailed feedback) and I think either would be fine.

Are both room only rates?
Jan 3rd, 2017, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. I will also look at the options you have suggested -- I find the biggest challenge is not knowing much about how to evaluate location.

Kavey -- if by "room only" you. Are asking if breakfast is included then yes, these are room only. IIRC -- and I don't have the numbers at hand -- the up charge for breakfast was about $14 which seemed pricey, especially for 6 days.

In general in Japan is springing for included breakfast a good idea? In Europe it is often substantial enough o be my main meal of the dat if a cooked breakfast.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 06:04 AM

From your earlier post about finding a hotel for under $100/night, you seem to be a budget traveler. I personally wouldn't pay $14 for breakfast. In hotels like Toyoko Inn and Comfort Inn buffet breakfasts are included. I've seen some folks really pack it in...lol....

In the neighborhood you are looking at there will be numerous places for breakfast. I can often find a breakfast set for under 500 JPY.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 07:19 AM

<< I personally wouldn't pay $14 for breakfast. >>

Especially not in Kyoto, where you can grab good pastries at the Vie de France in Kyoto station for a couple of bucks and keep them at your lodging. Not to mention the tons of other places with available breakfast foods for pocket change.
Jan 3rd, 2017, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Right. That was my thinking about breakfasts -- grab breakfast for pocket change. And get out-and-about early.

I am definitely a budget traveler -- but not a penny-pincher. I want to spend my pennies where they will bring me the most joy -- and that is generally not breakfast!

Further digging using the guidance above and playing with dates on booking.com shows that March 4 (Saturday) is pricey and sometimes a stumbling block in finding accomodation. Hmmm....

Since I arrive in KIX at 1400 if on time, I am now playing with spending that night in Osaka, checking out the Dotonburi street food scene for supper, and heading up to Kyoto early on Sunday morning. That really wouldn't cost me much time in Kyoto. More digging late tonight!
Jan 3rd, 2017, 06:19 PM

Maybe the high price is because Friday March 3rd is Doll's Day - Hina Matsuri...

Anyway since you're coming in to KIX, staying one night in Osaka is not a bad idea....

lol....hopefully the dollar/yen exchange rate will continue to be favorable - that's good for budget travelers.
Jan 4th, 2017, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Ah, Doll's Day... yes, I will need to plan around national and local holidays/festivals as well as the Sakura at the end of March, as I sort out my itinerary for my 3-week (March 12-April 1 -ish) in between my bookend stays in Kyoto and Tokyo. Back to Japan-guide...

Just found Ming Tsai's show on street food in Tokyo and Osaka -- part of his series on Japanese food.

Fodor forum etiquette advice, please: should I start new topic specific threads (eg., "Street Food and other inexpensive/mid-range eats," "Kanazawa and Takayama in the last week of March?" or lump them all into a single trip-planning thread?

Seems like topic-specific threads might be easier for others to search
Jan 4th, 2017, 06:18 AM

The location you've picked is my absolute favourite in Kyoto, for reasons I think I've explained in other threads.

And yes, I agree that it's not worth paying extra for breakfast, especially in that location where you have plenty of nearby options for a much cheaper breakfast, or you can pick something up en route to sightseeing.

I asked only to see whether the two hotel prices were being compared like for like...

Given their high booking.com ratings, I wouldn't hesitate in booking either.

Specific threads much better, in my opinion.
Jan 4th, 2017, 05:01 PM
kja

My personal preference for threads is for ones that lump together related questions, e.g., questions about food or questions about a specific city, etc.
People can easily miss a question if there isn't something linking them. In contrast, I lose all patience with people who create a separate thread for each and every question. If the topic ends up taking as many characters as the question, it's too specific, IMO -- and it also tends to reduce the chance of getting an odd tidbit of information that you didn't expect! As examples:
- Asking about inexpensive/mid-range food should get you info about street food; asking about street food won't likely get you anything about sit-down places or bento boxes, etc.
- Including "the last week of March" in a thread topic about Kanazawa and Takayama might keep people who haven't been there then from responding; mentioning the time from in your post provides information, but doesn't necessarily discourage people from commenting about those locations.

Another personal quirk: I like it when people link in any overarching threads they have about their travel plans. It gives me info about context that I sometimes find helpful and lets people know what info you've already gotten.

But that's JMO! Thanks for asking.
Jan 7th, 2017, 04:22 AM

I note that just west of kawaramachi station you will find a MCD, no doubt a top choice for morning coffee and egg mcmuffin. Would be mine.
Jan 8th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Oh, dear. I think I will follow the suggestions of Mara and BigRuss above and eschew MCD ... ;-)
Jan 8th, 2017, 08:51 AM

>> In contrast, I lose all patience with people who create a separate thread for each and every question.<<

Ain't that the truth (!) . . . there is one fellow on the Europe board who has started more than 30 threads about the same trip to the Greek Islands. Each OP is about one sentence and it is almost like stream of consciousness -- every thing that pops in his mind -- up pops a new thread

Meredydd: It sort of depends - if a completely different topic crops up -- say you want to know the best way to get to Narita or something like that -- definitely start a new thread. But otherwise it isn't necessary.
Jan 8th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, janisj. Very helpful. I don't want to pester you good folks to death! But guidance on specific topics can be very helpful.

Having gotten help with my Kyoto hotels on this thread, as well as very good advice on another thread about how to search for hotels, I will now start a thread on my itinerary (or at this stage, my big picture plan). I am sure a few questions worthy of their own thread may come from that -- but not too many.

But of course a thread on inexpensive/midrange food....yum!
Jan 9th, 2017, 01:04 AM

I think it's just about finding a balance.

Having separate threads by region (not one for every single place on the itinerary) could make sense.

Or by topic - as you say, hotel, transport, food...

I think it's not helpful to have new threads for every single thought / question, as the conversation becomes too fragmented.

But likewise, trying to have every single diverse question in only one thread can suffer from people not bothering to read because the original title makes them think they can't contribute whereas actually the conversation has moved on and they could...