Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Kuala Terengganu - Aranyi and Tanjong Jara

May 1st, 2005, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Please, could anyone who has stayed at the Aranyi Resort in Merang or the Tanjong Jara Resort in Duncun please let me have your views on the resort standards, facilities, beaches etc.
Am having trouble in getting feedback. Planning 4 weeks in Malaysia in July. Thanks.
May 1st, 2005, 03:57 AM

Sorry, don't have the answer to your question but...

Most people don't choose to stay in Kuala Terengganu itself as the beaches there are only so-so. Instead, they take the speed boat from Merang to the islands, say Redang (45 mins away I think), Perhentian etc. Out at the islands, the beaches are gorgeous, the marine life abundant. I've been to Redang a few years ago and some bread crumbs are enough to attract multi-coloured marine fishes at knee-deep water.
May 1st, 2005, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janna for your comments. I certainly intend to visit the islands for day trips but the 2 resorts I mentioned are surposed to be 5 star and I would love to hear from someone who has stayed at one or both of them.
May 1st, 2005, 09:36 PM

I found a couple of press articles on the Aryani Resort. Maybe these could help:
http://www.wpu.org.uk/members-sample...wson.html#Time

http://www.allmalaysia.info/news/sto...&sec=mi_hotels
May 1st, 2005, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi Janna,
Thank you so much. Those 2 sites were of great interest. The Arayni does sound
what we are looking for. We are off to Malaysia for a month in July and I can't wait. It's amazing how little there is on the country on Fodor's.
Cheers and thanks again.
May 3rd, 2005, 07:04 AM
stjohnbound

This is just a personal opinion but I believe there isn't much information on Malaysia on Fodors (or elsewhere) because it is not a huge vacation destination. It is a lovely country with extremely friendly people but I did not find it to be a vacation spot I would return to. There are too many other places that are more exotic and tropical. Personally I could not imagine spending a whole month there. Once again, this is just my opinion.

May 3rd, 2005, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

stjohnbound,

Was interested to read your comments. We have travelled widely in SE Asia with many visits to Thailand,
Indonesia, Vietnam,Philippines, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Have only been as far as Malacca in Malaysia which we found facinating. Have heard great things about the East coast so will spend time there as well as a few days in KL before going to Penang and Langkawi.
Would be interested to know what areas of the country you visited.
We hope 4 weeks won't be too long as we are mixing the stay between cities (KL and Georgetown), beaches and hill stations.Vacations are precious times so we do hope we won't regret our visit.
Its a new experience however and of course we need not return if disappointed.
Thanks again for your comments. Cheers.
May 4th, 2005, 05:10 AM
stjohnbound

Piri, I certainly don't want you to question your choice of Malaysia. If you went to Malacca and found it to be great then I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of Malaysia. I have only been to KL and then over to Borneo. Like I said, I enjoyed it but I did not find it to be as tropical and exotic as I had expected. If you have traveled extensively around Asia then you are much more an expert than I! I have also heard the east coast is beautiful and I'm sure you'll love it. You'll have to post a trip report when you get back. Where are you traveling from?

May 4th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

stjohnbound,

We are from Melbourne, Australia. Yes I will post a trip report when I return as I have found this forum to be so helpful in the past.
Thanks again and all the best.