Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Krabi, Phuket, Koh Samui or Phi Phi island in Thailand?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 07:14 AM
karine

Hi, <BR>the past few days, i read a lot about phuket and Krabi but what about Phi Phi island. <BR>As anyone been to Phi Phi and any comments about it because that's were i want to go. <BR>Thanks a lot.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 03:13 AM
Rel

Karine: Phi Phi Island is only tiny - one lot of cottages for accommodation as far as I know. Fantastic for a couple of days, with an overnight stay. The snorkelling and diving are brilliant. I would be staying at Phuket and doing a day trip there with an overnight and back the next afternoon. Depends what you want to do there though.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 03:20 AM
Rel

Karine: another update. Phi Phi apparently is Krabi. Try this address for lots of info: including ALL the accommodation. <BR>www.phi-phi.com <BR>Looks a great site.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Alex

I've just came back from Phuket. Patong Beach is a tourist trap, nothing special about the beach. Phi-Phi has many tourists but the beaches are still quite exotic.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:41 PM
Anna

Phi Phi is a beautiful island. A 20-minute hike to the top of the mountain to see the postcard view of beaches and two-toned Andaman Sea on both sides of island is a must. <BR> <BR>However, I do not have recommendations for accommodations in Phi Phi since I was there for a day trip several years ago with a cruise line named "Seatran Princess" which is not in business anymore. <BR> <BR>In Phuket, "Kata Noi Beach" or "Bang Tao" Beach is much less crowded than Pa Tong. <BR> <BR>Another alternative to consider is cruising with "Andaman Princess", a Thai cruise line. <BR> <BR>Check out their website for more info. If I got it right, it is www.andamanprincess.com <BR> <BR>And if you like soft adventure, sea canoeing in Krabi is highly recommended. <BR> <BR>Good luck in your trip planning.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Jane

We stayed at Pee Pee Island Resort on Phi Phi -secluded, beautiful.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Eric

In Phuket, Kata and Karen Beaches are very nice. I stayed in Kata for a week, and it is beautiful. Avoid Patong, it's a cesspool. I've heard Phi Phi is the most beautiful island in Thailand, and I've heard good things about Ko Samui.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 12:45 AM
Aung

Dear Sir,<BR>Can you please see this website mention about Phi Phi Island.<BR>http://travel.discovery.com/ideas/nature/beachgd/worldsbest/phiphi.html<BR>With regards,<BR>Aung<BR>Copy-writer http://ehotelbooking.com

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:07 PM
sarah rey

Phi Phi is beautiful, good for a couple of days as really small, Krabi also nice. Kao Tao island north of Samui is getting popular. You can boat from Samui to Kao Tao, then boat to Chumpon to get your train or bus northbound along the coast. Eric is 'so' right about Patong on Phuket!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 08:58 AM
Jonathan

I was in Phuket with my wife and another couple in January. We had a wonderful time in Phuket. We stayed at the Central Waterfront Suites on Karon beach. The beach was beautiful and the hotel was perfect for us. It is actually a converted condo building that now operates as a hotel. We had a huge 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite with a kitchenette. The hotel had a very nice pool as well.<BR><BR>Regarding Phi Phi Island, I had been there on a day trip 11 years earlier and remembered it as paradise. So, in planning for this trip, I booked us at the Phi Phi Cabana hotel for two nights. This hotel was supposed to be one of the nicest on the island. The whole experience with Phi Phi was a bit of a nightmare. First, the island is now one big dump, overrun by tourists and tacky tourist shops. The main beach has boats parked every 10 feet with small areas roped off for swimming. I tried snorkelling there and saw nothing but litter including cigarette butts and plastic bottles. The water is covered by a film of boat fuel. I then went to the beach on the other side (Tonsai Bay I think it is called). It was even worse. I didn't go in after seeing foam (pollution) washing up on shore.<BR>On top of it the hotel's rooms were not cleaned well and the airconditioning barely worked (and it was incredibly hot). The hotel even has a policy of turning off the air conditioning altogether for three hours every afternoon. And this was an expensive hotel!<BR>The only way I would go back to Phi Phi is on a day trip. Upon arriving on Phi Phi Don (there are two islands that make up Phi Phi), I would immediately hire a boat to take me to Phi Phi Lei for the day. That island is still incredibly beautiful and will stay that way because they don't allow overnight stays and large boats cannot dock there.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Cheryl

to the top

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 03:15 AM
Ursula

topping