DVD IN THAILAND

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 12:56 PM
DE HON

DVD IN THAILAND

Has anyone bought some DVD in Thailand ?.
Any comment about it ?
Are they compatible zone 2 ?
What about the prices ?
Thanks in advance

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Meg

We bought some DVD's in Thailand, but they did not work in the US. My husband was able to re-format his laptop to get them to play for whatever zone the DVD's were formatted for, but if you do this too many times, you're stuck with that zone/format setting. I think he paid about 200B each.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Tania

There's a big trap in buying DVD in Asia. They're very cheap but DVDs are produced out of home digital video camera. What they do is they record movies showing in the cinema from their home video camera and then copies to DVD and sell to traveller. You can tell as the quality is shocking, noises in the background and you could even see the heads of the people who sat in front of the camera. A friend of mine bought DVDs from Thailand told me. So be careful.
Tania.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 07:05 PM
Meg

Tania is correct. There are bad copies out there. We have been very lucky. The ones we bought in Beijing were great - no problems with playing them back home or with the quality. The quality of the ones from Bangkok were good as well, but we had the problem with the format. We really didn't care since they were only a few dollars each. Good luck.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 11:05 PM
Um

It's also illegal. In most cases, they will just confiscate them if they find them during customs checks in the US, but technically there are criminal fines and penalties that could be levied. You never know when they may choose to make an exapmple of someone.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 05:21 AM
Jen

Yes, they are pirated, and yes, some copies are better than others. I don't know about compatibility, as I live in Malaysia and have a DVD player purchased here.

What to watch for: here in Asia there are DVDs and there are VCDs. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY. Video CDs are just that - video information copied on a CD, as opposed to the digital information of a DVD. You don't even need a DVD player to watch them - your CD-Rom on your computer will work. Tania, who posted above, is talking about these. They will usually say both DVD and VCD on them, but they are NOT DVDs. You can tell because one VCD movie will be on two discs, but a whole movie will fit on one DVD. They are also the ones that are often made from camcorders in movie theatres or the like.

Copied DVDs that are indeed DVDs and not VCDs have way better quality than VCDs, though probably not what you'd expect from a non-pirated version. They are copied directly from original DVDs. We have loads of them and have been mostly pleased, whereas with VCDs you never know. We've seen some pretty bad VCDs!

Here in Malaysia we've been paying about $3-$4 US each for pirated DVDs. We don't buy them from street vendors, but actual shops in malls - where we can return them if the quality is bad, but it's usually okay. They are about to crack down on them here so the shops are giving great deals. Maybe not as cheap as the street vendors, but better quality.

Be careful at customs!

Jen