Krabi accommodation

Search

Krabi accommodation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krabi accommodation

Through an entry on the board, I've come across Sunrise Tropical Resort in East Railey Beach, near Krabi. What do we actually look for? A nice resort, with reasonable access to tour the karst formations and to visit the Tiger Cave. Furthermore, relaxed walks on the beach, winding down from our trip in Laos and Cambodia. Is this the right place to book? Any experiences? Better deals and options to be suggested? Thks. Once again.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM

don't be scared... it's just me

the Central Krabi Bay Resort has some very good deals until oct 31. (stay 4 pay 3).
also there is an american express promotion (which i booked): 50% off first night, second night free, additional nights 50%.
the problem with the promotion: it's from the published rate, which is high and doesn't include BF.
but for 2 nights i got it for 6700 including taxes but not BF. instead of adding an outragoues sum for BF (2000 baht or 2 adults +2 kids), i got the "club" priv. which includes breakast and more for just 1500...

the club looks amazing, and starting nov, the prices are much much higher..
krabi airport pickup to hotel is 1200
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

this 'club', is this in the same Sunrise Tropical Resort or is this an alternative?
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 12:46 PM

I have copied a recent discussion on Sunrise Tropical for you. There is also a good liink to photographs of the bungalows taken by Eurotraveller hope it helps:

Author: eurotraveller
Date: 09/12/2006, 11:09 pm
Ahhhh... You are staying in one of my favorite resorts in Thailand!

As for transfers to Sunrise, I would guess you could easily book upon arrival but I can't say from experience. We came in from Ko Phi Phi by boat.

We left from Sunrise Tropical via boat. A car met us at the dock and took us straight away to the airport. It was done effortlessly with little planning.

Sunrise Tropical is an amazing place! Yes, it sits on a mangrove swamp. No, we didn't mind it a bit. It is a 2 minute stroll to West Railey unless you are crawling on your hands and knees.

The beaches are back to back and some of the accomodations on East Railey are closer to West Railey than the accomodations on West Railey! Seriously!

If you would like to see my photos of Sunrise Tropical you can view them at www.windjammer.smugmug.com

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Yes, cram, that was me that posted the info about Krabi that maisymoo reposted for you.

The area of Railay is fairly small and you could easily stroll from West Railey to East Railay to Hat Phra Nang in less than an hour.

We could walk from Sunrise Tropical on East Railay to West Railay in less than 5 minutes and to Hat Phra Nang in about 10 minutes.

As I said before, the scenery is stunning but we didn't have a terrific meal the entire time although we had a couple of decent meals.

The staff at Sunrise Tropical treated us like royalty! Very accomodating and smiling all the time (typical Thai hospitality).

There is a small store right next to the hotel for bottled water, beer, snacks, etc.

Let me know if you have more specific questions about this place. We loved it!

By viewing the photos on the link in the previous post you will get a good look at some fo the area.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Central Krabi Bay Resort until end October should be for deluxe Ocean facing about B 5,800.
Premium deluxe about 6,100.
Spa deluxe ocean facing double 6,300 all including tax, service 'and' full breakfast!!
Plus the pay for 3 stay 4 nights ( but on the free night beakfast B 670 per person )
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Just bear in mind that staying at Railay is like being on an island, so if you want to visit Wat Tham Sua and other mainland attractions, first you have to take the longtail back to Ao Nang or Krabi town. If you just want to chill out on beach and great scenery then Railay's fine but if you intend exploring around Krabi then consider staying at Ao Nang.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Thks to all. I suppose that if you stay at Ao Nang, that you have to take the longtail boat to go and see karst formations> If we stay at Ao Nang, any recommendations? At any rate, the Sunrise Tropical looks indeed very nice.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:04 PM

personally I far prefer to stay at Ao nang and take the boat over to railay for a few hours swimming & scenery. I find railay expensive for everything, whereas there's some good value at Ao nang, plus from Ao nang it's easy to get out and about.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:43 AM

I know everyone has different preferences but I didn't care for Ao Nang. We took a day trip over there and we were happy we hadn't booked over there. On the positive side, it probably has a better choice for restaurants and shopping.

Ao Nang is not nearly as beautiful as the Krabi area, there are no accomodations on the beach due to the fact that there is a main road between the beach and all accomodations and restaurants and it has a large tourist strip running along the road. The beach isn't that nice either.

Ao Nang reminds me of many resort strips along beaches in Miami or South Carolina.

If you want touristy, shopping and good choice of restaurants you may want to choose Ao Nang. If you prefer to stay in a beautiful area you may want to stay around Railay.

Decision making is very difficult with so many options! Good luck deciding!

Cheers!