Korean or malaysian air?

Search

Korean or malaysian air?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Korean or malaysian air?

I just posted a message on another message board, but I,m really impatient!
I need help with something that has been driving my friends and me crazy. We are planning on trip to Bangkok in end of April, beginning of May and have achoice between business class Malaysian Air with a crazy schedule. NY to LA to Kuala Lumpur overnight with finally arriving in Bkk. Return flight just as crazy wth stayover in LA, or Korean Airlines First class NY to Seoul(fuel stop) to Bkk. Flying Korea, we would gain an extra day in Bkk, which seems to make sense the way you all rave about it. Can you tell I've never been there? Has anybody flown KA recently? Please help put us out of our misery! Thanks
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:19 PM

I flew KA last year to Seoul and it was fantastic. I have flown Malaysian before as well and quite honestly, dont recall a drastic differnce. If you are saving a day and flying first class, you should be fine.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:49 PM

I great place to get a review of Korean air would be flyertalk.com
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 04:53 AM

I've flown both and they are about the same for business class, but if you have a choice of business or first, then you definitely should go in first class on KAL. In addition to getting an extra day at the beginning of the trip, you should also have the most of an extra day at the end, if you take the same return flight I took, which leaves at something like 1:00 AM.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 05:05 AM

I flew coach on KAL last year and it was decent comparing to NWA. The layover in Korea was not bad. The airport is very clean. You will get to BKK at about midnight. I like the departure time from BKK because I was able to get decent dinner and cleaned up before going to the airport at about 10-11pm to check in. I did not have to worry about getting up early to go to the aiport at 4-5am to check in NWA. We are flying KAL again this year. Hope you enjoy Thailand.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 09:01 AM

I thought Malaysia Airlines flew direct from NYC to KL ? The flight routes NYC-Dubai-KL. Have you tried Emirates NYC-Dubai-Bangkok ?
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 09:03 AM

As you seem to be flying out of New York- I would suggest you vheck out EVA Air. They fly lout of new York to Bangkok via Taipei and they have Evergreen Deluxe Coach Class- which alomost like business but for a lot less. We flew them to Bangkok and it was great- and the price was very reasonable.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 09:11 AM

MH has moved its immediate stop from Dubai to Stockholm for its New York service. So, it's now EWR-ARN-KUL. It's a shorter route, and isn't that much longer than SQ's EWR-SIN non-stop, which also flies over Northern Europe on its US->Asia flight.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

We're flying Korean, because we have frequent flyer miles. Tried to get on Singapore, but it is being made impossible for anyone with miles. Our flight to Bali on SA was the best experience I've ever had. I guess airlines don't want to do business with Delta anymore.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 04:43 AM

If you are using Delta miles for business class on Malaysian, your Delta flights to/from LA will be in coach if the Delta flights do not offer business class.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

We've decided to fly with KAir. It's just so much easier and it's first class. I'm looking forward to the fully reclining sleeper seats. In able to fly business on Delta to LA, we would have had to fly to Cinncinaty. Did I spell that right? I'm all for pampeering, but when you have to go through hell to get to Bkk, it's just not worth it.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 07:59 AM

I think you will be happy with KAL in first class, and no, you did not spell Cincinnati right.