First Class Thai Air Domestic Flights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of booking our BKK-Phuket Thai Air flight First Class since there is not much price differential, and might be a nice (and easy!) X'mas present for my bf. I know it's a short flight, but has anyone flown it..is it at least a noticeable difference from economy? What are the perks/advantages...thx!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Much like first/biz class on US airlines - wider seats, more leg room, better food and a separate waiting lounge in Bangkok.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I should have said "much like first/business class on US airlines' domestic flights".
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 09:48 AM

use of the lounge might be considered a plus and also seperate boarding
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM

i would use the money for a blow out dinner some place instead as it is only a one hour+ flight
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 09:57 AM

I agree with Bob. Only reason to take it would be if you are traveling with a lot of luggage since the weight allowance will be greater. Otherwise go for a fabulous meal.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 11:34 AM

I checked a couple of Thai fares. Saw $121+ as the lowest price. For one date, I saw $162+ for economy and $186 for business class. I haven't flown that route but definitely would go for the upgrade at only $24 roundtrip (would be worth twice that amount each way, for me).

The difference is, as Craig said, wider seats, more leg room (if your bf has broad shoulders and long legs this is a treat), . Expect more comfortable seats (leather, or velvety seat cover). Separate, shorter, check-in line. Use of the biz lounge at BKK and probably one at HKT (I recall there was free booze at the biz lounge in BKK international terminal, not sure but think there was at the domestic club, but you will have comfy seats while you wait for your flight and snacks/coffee/soda). Priority boarding so that you will be seated and the FA will bring you drinks to enjoy while everyone else boards. Extra baggage allowance, maybe. Be among the first off the plane and your luggage might be tagged to be first off the plane.

Saw that Thai uses a variety of equipment between BKK and HKT. Craig is probably right that the seats are like US dometic first class. That is, the business class seats on a two class Thai flight are like first class on a typical two class domestic US flight.

If you are truly getting first class on a three-class Thai flight then it absolutely would be worth it. They do use a 747-400 on that route and it is probably two-class but could be a three-class flight in an international configuration. If it is the latter then it is wonderful. I've flown Thai internationally in biz and first and that FC seat was extremely comfy.

I once saw that I had a choice of flying a 777 from IAD to LAX and checked to see that the flight was coming from Amsterdam and would be a 3-class so I used free upgrade certs to get the business class seat which is actually better than F on United domestic flights.

So, I say go for it and have pad thai for 60 baht for dinner one night if that is what it takes.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:04 PM

Or do as I usualy do and go for both a busines class flight (no 1st on TG domestic) and nice meal... i am sure the price difference won't kill you
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:58 PM

For $24 I would definitely splurge. Seems like a no brainer. I thought it was much more.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

it is $24 one way/ $50 r/t and so $100 total for two total.
Is anyone aware if it is difficult to make changes to one's flight on Thai Air--the website is very vague. For example, if we change our mind once there--want to extend our stay in Phuket or explore another region? cheers!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 02:06 PM

It's typically very easy to make changes in Thai Air flights. They don't charge change fees, as what you are paying is the full price. It's just a matter of availability.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 04:05 PM

We always do the upgrade on Thai domestic, whether flying to Phuket or Chiang Mai. It's a really nice treat. For the small difference in price, why not!!
Carol
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 05:57 AM

It depends on what type of the air craft you will be flying. 747 have significantly better seats. I flew 1st class Bkk-Hkg on 777 (free upgrade d/t over bookings)and the difference was not that great. Yet, as everybody else said $24 is worth the experience.
Enjoy
Maggie
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 10:47 AM

There's only Business Class and Coach/Economy.
A lot depends on which aircraft. They are all wide-bodiy planes, if you are lucky and get a 747-400 flight the seats are better and if it is peak travel time then they often up Business class into First class seats and fill Business section with Economy passengers. The 777 and 330 are 'ok, the older A 300's though seem to have the seats which used to be in Business on the 747's, legroom is not so good. You get a hot meal and if you are flying at a busy time the lounges at both BKK and also Phuket are pleasant enough.
It's certainly worth the extra but as someone else said it's a short flight so you could always spend the money otherwise.