Koh Samui Hotels

Oct 1st, 2002, 12:58 PM
Jane

Koh Samui Hotels

Has anyone any experience or observations about either the Samui Yacht Club or Chaweng Resort.
Thanks in advance
JAne

Oct 1st, 2002, 01:30 PM
Jude

I would steer clear of Chaweng (and Lamai)unless you like relentless discos and overcrowded beaches. We arrived in Samui with no accommodation and there was plenty of choice. We stayed at the Maenam Beach Resort, Maenam (really friendly, clean place on palm fringed beach)and PS Villas at Choengmon Beach (lovely bay with lots of accommodation but don't go to the Imperial Boat House. Rent a motorbike anywhere for next to nothing and visit the whole island.
A good website for accommodation info is http://samui.sawadee.com/

Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:22 AM
Jane

Thanks for the input...how did you get into Chaweng? I am not inclined to rent a motor bike.
We had looked at Samui Yacht club because it is apparently close to snorkeling and looks a little more isolated than most other spots in that area.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:44 AM
Jude

You can catch a ride very easily anywhere on the island from the taxi tuk-tuks that ply up and down the coastal roads. You'll never have to wait long. They cost about a dollar a ride.
I'm afraid I never saw Samui yacht club but all the hotel/bungalow operations offer snorkeling trips or there are plenty of travel agent outlets to book trips with. It's all very easy to organise when you get there.
Samui is terribly overcrowded and has a Macdonalds - enough said?
I'm jealous though, Samui is beautiful but we liked Ko Pha Ngan too, especially the remoter places up in the north east - enjoy your trip!

Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:18 AM
Ruth

Samui is not overcrowded- there are many quiet places there. Chaweng has certainly expanded at quite a rate though and would not be a place I would return to. However, you may be looking for different things so what do you want in your holiday? Perhaps people could be of more help then!
PS you certainly will not have come across a more pretty airport!!!!

Oct 2nd, 2002, 02:30 PM
Jeanne

No, our family of five stayed at the Royal Blue Lagoon located between Chaweng and Lamai beaches. It was absolutely great. Very friendly staff, nice big rooms, great pool, Lamai beach was not too far, good food, and charming layout of the duplex units. I'd highly recommend it.