Search

Koh Chang

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koh Chang

Greetings!
Thanks to ALL for previous replies to my posts... I could just spend hours each week just reading items on the Thailand section. Fun!

We are firming up 14 nights 'on the ground' in Thailand, late Spring/Early Summer '08.
Royal Orchid in Bangkok(3 nts), Anantara for Chiang Rai (4 nts), and still trying to figure out our Beach Destination.

Koh Chang. Has anyone been in Late Spring/Early Summer? What was the weather like? Is it like what Koh Samui was 15 years back? I have previously been to Koh Samui at that time of year (late Spring/Summer), and all was ok. I'm thinking Koh Chang's weather is similar? We need 7 nights of beach time at the end of our trip... If not Koh Chang, where ? (we'd prefer NOT to go back to KS, and would like to also stay away from Pattaya).
We want a real nice hotel (4 Star) to just kick back and relax...

Thanks & Happy Weekend!
David
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 02:55 PM

We went to KC in late nov early dec and it was perfect!!!!! Sorry I cant help with the dates you are going. Usually jamesa has all the info on the weather. We stayed at barali and it fit us perfect. We had a bungalow right on the beach for about $90 US a night. Bob stayed there also, neither of us liked the food there, but there are several places to go besides their place. We went diving while we were there and did the elephant trek, besides that, we did a whole lotta nothing, which was great!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure there will be more responses to help with the weather part!
Jeffrey
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 07:43 AM

I went in July...maybe a little bit past what you consider "Early summer". The weather was beautiful, but it rained hard for half of the day while we were there. Otherwise it was sunny and clear for the most part. Any rains that came in were quick.

The most expensive place there is the Amari. It is on one of the beaches in the middle of the coastline. I also know that the Panviman recently opened up in Koh Chang, but I didn't see it. We stayed at the Bhumiyama Beach Resort on Lonely Beach.

Pluses and minuses of Lonely Beach:

Plus: really is secluded, very romantic, still q good amount of tourists but nothing like White Sands Beach (think Spring Break).

Minuses: not a lot of variety on food (but you MUST try Baan Mai and Nature Rocks), nothing is open late so if you get hungry past 9pm, you are out of luck!

Pluses and Minuses of Bhumiyama:

Plus: great location on Lonely Beach! Nice resort, great pool, friendly staff

Minus: restaurant food is bland, they charge you to call the taxi from the front room, drinks are pricey, bathroom is outside of bedroom (as sexy as it seems, the bugs really killed it for me)

You can read about my trip report on this thread if you look for it. Overall I am very happy with the choice of Koh Chang!
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM

we were in koh chang in june....the weather was fantastic....there were a few heavy showers but they passed quite quickly....i would go again at that time....the amari is fabulous...we stayed at the barali and it was very nice, except for the food which was below average, but next door the place has excellent food as does amari just down the beach....
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for Koh Chang info...
The Amari has caught my eye, and think that's the hotel I will book. What is the beach like by the hotel ? Is the water swimmable ? Are there restaurants along the beach or within walking distance ? We will be arriving Koh Chang via Bangkok. What mode of transport do you suggest ?

rhkkmk: I see you favor the Marriott. We've stayed in the ROS a few times; which we enjoy tremendously - location, views from towers lounge & room + pools. What does the Marriott have on the Sheraton ?
What's the Big Deal ? We're always open to a new place (only requirement, must be on the river!)

Happy Sunday All !
David

Old Aug 12th, 2007, 04:22 PM

From BKK to KC, we flew to Trat on bangkok air, then at the airport(which at that time only had 2 flights a day), we told the taxi driver which place we were staying. The taxi took us onto the ferry then on to our hotel. It was quite an experience!
Bob can answer your questions about the marriott vs ROS. When we went for the first time to BKK, Bob planned almost our whole trip for us, which of course included staying at the marriott, we LOVE it!!!
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 07:05 PM

isn't bob wonderful??
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 07:14 PM

sit down first of all....i dislike the ROS, but i will be staying there, very cheaply, for a few days next spring...

quite simply its boring....

the marriott has a totally different feel....its low rise for one things....its laid back....its pool is the best in bkk....it has a great mini-mall our front with drug store, fast foods, bakery, tailors, photo shop, bank and restaurants...

it is issolated but we actually like that, including the fresher air out there.....it has a free shuttle every 15 minutes directly to the skytrain (ros finally has a shuttle but only every 30 minutes)....

the staff at marriott are very friendly and each one speaks to you as you pass....they do all kinds of little things in your room that you do not expect...

its on the "wrong side" of the river which is a plus...

it used to be very reasonable but prices and exchange rates no longer make that possible...its still less than most all river hotels...

ROS needs a complete overhaul...lobby, rooms, attitudes...it rents a nice pool in the portugese embassy next door...the mall next door is good for shopping and some eating, but not for necessities...slightly easier to get downtown from ROS when traffic is light..

you will be very happy at the amari...beach is ok, but pool is fabulous and huge...food there is also excellent...walk outs for food?? not so sure i would trust any of it...other hotels yes, but local???