Reload this Page >

Know a good tailor in Hong Kong?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Mel

Hi. I will be in Hong Kong for four days next month. I would love to have some clothes tailor-made, probably some pants, jackets, and skirts. I'm sure my boyfriend would like a new suit too. Any recommendations? I am definitely looking for a good bargain, but am basically hoping to get high quality, perfect fit items for the same or better price as store-bought at home. Also, I don't know the city (my first visit!) so any detailed info about finding your recommended tailor would be helpful. How much should I expect to pay? Thanks!

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 05:27 AM
Carla

Mel, When we lived in Asia we made many visits to HK. We used Sitlani Custom Tailors in Kowloon. My husband had several suits, slacks, and lots of shirts made and I had suits and dresses made. They also made a tux for my husband and my gown for our daughter's wedding. I found what I wanted in the US, took photos, and they made an exact copy. US price, custom made, was $1500. My cost in HK was $500 using the best silk they had. Their shop is small and not fancy but they do good work. Shirts and suits were about the same price as you'd buy in a US store ready made but the custom fit is wonderful! We found they don't negotiate cost much, cost will vary with fabric selection. Their address is 10 Humphrey's Ave. Phone 2368-5644, Fax 2366-3744. In Kowloon, from the Star Ferry, go north on Nathan Road, Humphrey's Ave is right off of Nathan. Just a few steps down the street on the right side, watch overhead for their yellow sign. They are on the second floor. Good luck and have a great trip!

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 06:22 PM
andrew

Princeton is pretty good. They are located in Kowloon and have their tailors visit the US during the year.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Mel

Thanks for the tips! That is exactly the kind of information I need.

Old May 17th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Mel

Carla: <BR>I am Sitlani right now. Prakash says hello. He wanted to know who recommeded the shop, so I hopped online to double-check. We are buying a lot of clothes. This place is great! Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Cirilo

During my half day tour of Hong Kong the guide asked and answered the question, which is the better tailor, Indian or Chinese tailor? Her answer was the Chinese tailor. I checked out both. Sitlani and the British Tailor at the Hong Kong Hotel. Both made a suit and three shirts of high quality material for US$375.00. My answer to the question, buy a quality off the rack suit, say one made in Philly or Baltimore and have your local Italian tailor custom fit it for you. It will be a few hundred more but the construction is so better and you will get much better wear.<BR><BR>Cirilo<BR>New Jersey

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 07:46 AM
vt

Find good shop one that's close to your hotel because you need to go back for couple of fittings in order to get a good quality suits or dresses that custom tailor meant for and don't rush them so they can pay attention to details.Since prices depend on the grades and patterns of fabric so it's hard to tell if they are cheaper than off the rack clothes but top of the line materials suit should not cost more than 500 US for 3 piece suit.I would avoid cheap looking shops (you get what you pay for) or celebrity type shops (overprice) and don't let initial asking price deter you,if you like the shop,bargain.If you plan to come back to HK in the future then try at least 2 shops and use the better one in the future.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 09:51 AM
philip

I had a few shirts made for me by Ascot Chang. I ordered them from their location in The Peninsula Hotel.<BR><BR>In terms of quality, I'd put them on par with what is available at a Saks or Neimans. The price wasn't bad.<BR><BR>However, because I was only in Hong Kong for a few days, I had the shirts sent directly to the U.S. This added quite a bit to the cost due to customs and duty requirements. I'd strongly suggest stopping at a shop shortly after arrival to ensure that you can carry them with you.<BR><BR>P.S. You might want to plan on dinner, or at least drinks, in the Felix Restaurant atop the Peninsula. Great view, and food, in a very modern setting.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 01:21 AM
topper

topping

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Ann

Does anyone know if in addtion, they also custom make denim jeans?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Justin

I have to agree that Ascot Chang makes excellent suits and shirts. The shirt I bought while I was in HK stayed perfect after 3 years of intensive use. Pretty impressive!