Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Know a good driver for Shimla to Dharamsala; or am I crazy to do this?

Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Namastel! I'm in Shimla at the moment. The heat in the south was just too brutal. Now my daughter wants to go to Dharamsala for 4 days, but the drive scares me.

Has anyone done this 8 hour trip? I am always afraid that the driver will drift off to sleep after so many hours, and with the roads here, that could be a problem...

Promise a report when I get back to computers with decent speed, as Blackberry keys are way too small!.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:28 PM

The road is good by and large, with a minor bad patch between Simla & Darlaghat. I would suggest that you overnight in Pragpur, Judges Court, which is about 40 miles from Dharansala for in doing so you would then have appetite to visit Kangra Fort, with great views of the Ban Ganga & Manjhi rivers, the next morning. I have discussed Pragpur in an earlier post.
The route, Simla >> Darlaghat >> Brahm Pukhar >> Ghaggas >> Hamirpur >> Nadaun >> Kaloha >> Pragpur >> Kangra >> Dharamsala, is very picturesque & I would suggest that you start your journey, with a packed lunch. There are only small eateries on the way with suspect hygiene conditions.
At Dharamsala, stay in Udechee Huts (Naddi) & do give my regards to Mrs. Suvarnima Singh, your hostess!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:38 AM

See if Ananda Spa is on your way and you can luxuriate there for a few days if time allows!

http://www.anandaspa.com
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:21 AM

It sounds like an adventure! I have no info offer about a driver, but I'm already awaiting your trip report.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:47 AM

Hi, lcuy!

Like Kathie, I have no driver to offer, but did want to check in and wish you happy and safe travels!

Many, many moons ago, I went to Dharamsala on a train from Delhi. Believe there is a bus too.

If you do visit with the Dalai Lama, do bring along a katag (white scarf) which you hand to him as a gift, he blesses it and hands it back to you.

Have a great trip and looking forward to your trip report!
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Well, we bit the bullet and did the r\drive today. Loaded up on Ativan and Dramamine, had a nice driver in a good car, and had a gorgeous ride. Hail, thunder and lightning all made it even more interesting, but luckily we had confidence in our driver when it happened.

Dharamsala is quite unlike the other areas I've been in India. Lots of hippies and Buddist Monks, and we had a great Tibetan dinner for only $4!
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Wonderful! Dharamsala is a pace I've long wanted to visit, so I'm really looking forward to hearing all about it, Lcuy.