Reload this Page >

KL - tips for single female traveller please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 02:39 AM
hortensia

i will be spending less a full day in Kuala Lumpur in two weeks and i would like to know any tips for visiting alone this city, as well as estimated time needed to visit each of the sights<BR><BR>thank you for your advice<BR>hortensia

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 05:42 AM
Mary

When in KL please be very careful with your bags/wallet. There are lots of pickpockets. I was in Isetan KLCC for only 5mins and my wallet was stolen. It is really only 5 mins. I have to go to 3 police station to make a police report and 4 including the security post. The police in KL don't speak English, only Malay & I had a hard time.<BR>And in the 3rd police station, another lady also had her wallet/handphone stolen from her bag in the same place and at the same time as me !!<BR><BR>Be careful!!!

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 01:02 AM
Jen

I agree, hold on to your wallet. Or better yet, use a money belt under your clothes.<BR><BR>You will probably get stared at no matter how modestly you dress (and you should) - annoying, but not the end of the world. <BR><BR>Which sights do you want to see? Time needed depends on where you want to go, and whether you have to get to and from the airport in that day as well. I just answered a similar question recently. Maybe you can find it.<BR><BR>Jen

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 02:38 PM
hortensia

thank you both for your responses.<BR>Jen - as you have living over there, maybe you could help me a bit more with my itinerary for that day; i am interested in the following sites but not very sure about how to organise myself... i will be leaving from the airport early in the morning that day and will need to be back at 9pm at the airport to catch my flight back home...<BR><BR>- menara tower (for view of the city)<BR>- chinatown and central market (for some shopping)<BR>- national mosque<BR>- batu caves (not sure if enough time but very, very interested!)<BR>- merdeka square<BR><BR>i guess i will need to leave chinatown for the last thing but heard that is difficult to find a taxi over there (do you think i could just go to any hotel and take it from there???)... i wouldn't want to miss my flight!!!<BR><BR>again, thank you for your good help<BR>-hortensia<BR><BR>

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Jen

It is hardly EVER difficult to catch a taxi in KL, and if you catch one from a hotel the driver will try to rip you off. You can certainly go to Chinatown in the day, they just won't have all the designer rip-offs for sale then. Anyway, if you have to be at the airport by 9, you won't be able to stay late enough to see the best of the nightmarket there.<BR><BR>I'd say head for the tower first and get your view of the city. It's clearest in the morning anyway. Then go to Chinatown and the Central Market (Little India/India Street) is nearby too. Have some lunch in there... everything is good, and servers usually are eager to help foreigners choose what to eat.<BR><BR>Merdeka Square and the Sultan Abdul Samad building aren't so far from there, either. The National Mosque and the Friday Mosque (better- "Masjid Jamek") are nearby.<BR><BR>For Batu Caves... well, it's really not that long of a taxi ride because taxis are cheap, but one thing I'm not sure of is getting a taxi BACK from the caves. You could ask them to wait for you, for a fee. <BR><BR>Oh, here we go. My Lonely Planet book says you can take the Intrakota bus No 11D from the Central Market annexe or Cityliner bus No 69 from Jalan Pudu in Chinatown. Perfect.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 12:46 AM
hortensia

Hi Jen - until what time is Chinatown night market open? as i will arrive in KL the previous night at 8.45pm maybe checking-in at the hotel at the airport and then leaving straight away to visit the night market could be an alternative... if it takes 1 hour (or less at that time..) to get to the city from the airport i could be there at around 10pm; in this way i would still have the whole next day (or at least until 7pm/7.30pm...) to see the rest of the sights without worrying about chinatown<BR><BR>do you think this is a good idea??? thank you

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Jen

Great idea! It doesn't start until 7 (8 is when it's really underway) so I'm sure it runs AT LEAST until midnight. I'm not sure exactly, but I know we've gone around 11 and it's still going strong. <BR><BR>I was going to mention... the Insight Guide for Malaysia has a pretty good walking tour all laid out, taking in Merdeka Square and that whole area, through Chinatown and India Street, etc, etc. It might help you use your time most efficiently, if you can find a copy on such short notice. They may have a KL city guide as well, but I'm not positive.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 12:08 AM
hortensia

Jen - thank you for your responses ... will try and find the insight guide as it sounds good!!<BR><BR>thanks again<BR>-hortensia