Reload this Page >

December (Christmas) in Hong Kong

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Joseph

Spending my Christmas vacation in Hong Kong. What kind of weather should I expect? Any special events during that period? Does anyone has information about the Christmas lights in Hong Kong? My friend mentioned about lights on the skyscrapers. Also welcome any General comments. Thanks.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 02:39 AM
Kathy

We will also be spending Christmas in Hong Kong. Anyone know where midnight Mass (Catholic) is celebrated on Christmas Eve?

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Tangata

Hong Kong will be cold at Christmas. There are no special events that are open to the public; a lot of Christmas parties in the Clubs and private homes etc. Most hotels will offer a Christmas dinner.<BR><BR>The Christmas lights will be up and are normally spectacular both in Hong Kong (Victoria) and Kowloon. Trying viewing them from the Kowloon harbour walkway (from Star Ferry) and from the elevated walkway in Central. Another good place is to get on the top deck of a tram. They stay up for a long while, normally mutating into Chinese New Year lights at some stage.<BR><BR>Midnight mass at any of the Catholic Churches. Probably in English at St. Josephs in Garden Road. Also in Cantonese (the Cathedral) and Tagalog (St Margaret’s in Happy Valley.)<BR><BR>A Happy Christmas to you both. I hope you enjoy your Christmas there as much as I enjoyed the 18 I had there.<BR>

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Ross

Just one addendum to Tangata's very good information: 'cold' is a relative term! I think the weather in HK at Christmas is just about perfect, with a lot of clear, mild days in the high 60s (~20C) and cool nights when a sweater or light jacket are more than enough. It's the driest time of year here as well, with rain very unlikely indeed. We do get occasional colder spells, but they usually come later, in January and February, and even then most days will see highs in the 60s.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Susan

While Xmas can be 'mild' come prepared with a light wool coat, sweaters, or fleece. Only tourists that don't know any better wear shorts and summer skirts & dresses. Sandals are definitely out! Local people will be in shoes, even boots and coats, so if you want to look like you belong, dress accordingly. And don't forget that HK is only cold for a short time, so most apartments, hotel rooms don't have central heating. [you can request a space heater if necessary]. While you may get some warm days [bring t-shirt & cotton pants if you plan to go hiking]. it will more than likely be around 10-14 degrees celsius. Hard to believe, but my mother-in-law didn't believe me either and ended up spending her Xmas holiday in summer dresses with her son's overcoat over top!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 11:57 PM
ross

Susan -- 10-14 would be a cold spell in HK in December! The daily average at that time of year is about 14-19.<BR><BR>I agree, though, the HK in the winter is inevitably crawling with tourists in shorts and tanktops busy turning blue. <BR><BR>I think I enjoy the cool weather in HK's winter so much since it's so infernally hot here for six months a year!