Reload this Page >

kids- good age to travel to Asia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Gigi

What is a good age of kids for travel to Asia? We are thinking about Japan, Singapore, Bali and possibly China and Russia. The concerns are immunizations, travel time (mainly flight time from the U.S.) and general safety. Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:16 PM
xxx

We first took our children to SE Asia at age 7 - should have gone sooner. After age 2 or 3, your children can get all necessary immunizations

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:37 PM
xxx

The ability of kids to handle long flights is pretty variable and dependent on temperament as well as age, no? How healthy are they generally? If subject to frequent colds, then flying will be painful for them and awful for you.<BR><BR>I would be concerned about small children contracting traveler's diarrhea or other possibly serious GI infections. Not a problem in Japan, Singapore, or Bali, I think. In China I would be concerned about respiratory illness. In Russia I would want to be carrying a course of broad spectrum antibiotics just in case. I have heard it can be difficult to get them there, but maybe that has changed.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 08:38 PM
Gigi

Thank you so much for the good input. I also saw on another post that there are many sicknesses that can be contracted in Bali. So we'll maybe consider just Japan and possibly the South Seas Islands.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 09:36 AM
bacalew

We have taken our son to Thailand at age 2 and China last year at age 3. No problems, no immunizations. China is amazingly western. We used to get immunizations years ago and dont any more when we travel.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:51 PM
Gigi

bacalew: Thanks for your response. Did you have any concerns before going over both times with your child? What was the rationale you used in your decision to stop getting immunizations before traveling? What is your response to the many other comments regarding these concerns?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:19 PM
Marilyn

Gigi -- I have traveled a lot for many years and most of the time have not gotten ill. But occasionally I have. I just can't imagine anything more terrifying than having a child too young to communicate becoming very ill in a 3rd world country. So I wouldn't worry too much about Japan, or probably even Singapore, but I think I would wait til a child was at least 5 for the other countries you mention. Why take the risk?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:41 PM
Gigi

Marilyn- Thanks for responding and I very much agree with you! Now, is there much less risk in contracting an illness in Japan & Singapore than in the rest of Asia? And did you pick the age of 5 as being easier to travel to the other countries because of the communication factor? Also, if you have any input on risks & safety precautions when traveling with a child to the South Seas islands, I'd appreciate hearing from you. I'd also like to hear where you've traveled!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 06:17 PM
Marilyn

Gigi -- I picked the age of 5 because that seems to me about when a child can say what is bothering them and have some sense of whether they are more seriously ill than a normal cold or flu at home. But I think it depends a lot on your own child. You would know best.<BR><BR>Also, I don't think people remember too much from age 5 and earlier, so if you are going partly for your child to have the experience, then I think they get a lot more out of it at 7 or 10 than at 3 or 4. They really won't remember how beautiful the beach was or how impressive the temple.<BR><BR>As for the different countries you mentioned in your original post, Japan is NOT a 3rd world country nor is it in the tropics. It is also extremely clean, in my experience, and you CAN drink the water out of the tap. So you have less risk of GI infections, malaria, etc, and if your child gets ill you will have access to state-of-the-art medical care.<BR><BR>Singapore is a very modern, clean, upscale city. <BR><BR>I have never been to Bali, but I have the impression from many friends that it is fairly "primitive" in its infrastructure. <BR><BR>I was in Russia about 9 years ago and unless it has changed a lot, it is on its way to regressing into a 3rd world country. You can't drink the water -- that's one of my criteria -- and I had heard that certain medications, like antibiotics, could be difficult to get. I don't know if that is still true or not, but I'm sure you would get a reply on this forum if you posted such a question.<BR><BR>China, well, it really depends on where you go. I know a number of people who have contracted nasty respiratory infections traveling in China. I have not traveled extensively there, but I've seen the 3rd world side of it and would sure not want to be ill there. Plus I think China is a place where you might have communication problems. I did go to the doctor once in Taiwan and it was a strange experience. He prescribed a whole lot of different medicines, way overkill. I think it was his way of impressing me or something, because I was brought there by a friend who was his patient, and maybe because I was American. I really don't know.<BR><BR>Never been to the South Seas -- sorry (because I'd love to go!). You should check with your doctor or health plan about what precautions, immunizations, etc you might need for that area.<BR><BR>Where I've traveled would fill another post! I guess 30 or 40 countries, most continents except Africa and Antarctica. Just so you know, I've been to plenty of 3rd world countries and I am not fearful about traveling at all. I have a couple of nieces I hope to take with me some day, but they gotta be old enough to carry their own luggage, for one thing!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 05:30 AM
orgy7

for me the isue is more about what the child will learn and remember.. Asia is a special place.. <BR><BR>I still damn my perents for taking me too cape cod and some zoo in NJ when I was a todler, and I can't remember ever going... <BR><BR>I think kids should be around 8 years old they seem too take in the sites better. they seem not too cry and moan like todlers or teens do.. <BR><BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Gigi

Marilyn- Thanks so much for the great & interesting comments/report. I agree with the ages of 7 or 8 (orgu7, too)- and possibly 10. It would be really nice to hear more about your past travels- Marilyn, if you have journals, pics's, etc.- please let me know.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Marilyn

Thanks for your interest, Gigi. I do have journals and lots of photos (husband is a professional photographer) but very little of it online since much of the travel took place pre-internet. (How DID we manage?)<BR><BR>I'm fairly new to these fodors forums but have quickly become an addict. I was in Italy and England this summer, but didn't post a report because I wasn't really being a tourist. So I didn't feel that my information would be particularly useful to anyone. <BR><BR>I will certainly post some trip reports in future.<BR><BR>Meanwhile, how old is your child/children? Have you already been to Hawaii -- a great favorite for kids.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 05:37 PM
bacalew

In answer to your questions, yes, I did initially have concerns but, no longer do. Our family travels quite a bit and you simply get used to it. I have family that travels to Thailand 3 times a year with 4 kids ages 4-12. They also lived there for awhile and owned a restaurant in ChaingMai. They have never had a problem.<BR><BR>Another family member is working in China for the Embassy. They have two children ages 4 and 6. In both of these trips, I had real life examples of kids going back and forth numerous times and no immunizations, no sickness. If it makes you more comfortable get them. Regardless of whether you do or dont, you do need to be careful with a child. I have been sick a couple of times. But, nothing an immunization could have helped..it was always from food or water. Keep in mind we are going to Western Hotels and not staying off the beaten path so it would depend whether you are roughing it. If in doubt get the immunizations! Better safe than sorry<BR><BR>And as to why bring him and what age is appropriate, I grew up traveling extensively and the family tradition continues.....he goes where we go. These times are the buidling blocks of who they are....what other 4 year old can speak foreign languages and recognize the Great Wall, etc...when it flashes on tv? Dont ever let age stop you. Good luck

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Gigi

Marilyn- Thanks again for responding. It would be interesting to read more-- and see photos, esp. since your husband's a photographer! What type of photo. is he? <BR>We have a 5 year old and have traveled quite a bit. We've never been to Hawaii and would prefer using it as a stopping point (with some time spent in Maui) on the way to Japan & Singapore, but it may be a good destination now. Where have you been in HI.?<BR><BR>bacalew- thanks also for the good letter. The innoculations are a concern, as are the illnesses. It sounds like you've traveled to Asia numerous times and have possibly learned what to look for or be aware of in regards to safety.-- And that's great to go there. We do also plan on traveling there-- just want the optimum time for everyone.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Marilyn

Well, Gigi, believe it or not, he is a stereo photographer. That means he takes 3D photos. You look at them in a special viewer or with 3D glasses if they are projected. They are quite amazing. He has just finished a half hour show on Angkor Wat which I co-wrote with him. We showed it at a national convention in southern California in July and it won best of show, and we will be presenting it at an international conference next May in Besancon, France. Very nice -- I guess we'll spend a few days in Paris on the way.<BR><BR>As for Hawaii, I mentioned it because one of my nieces, who will turn 8 in January, has been twice and absolutely loves it. She loves being able to swim and snorkel every day etc. I've been to Maui twice, Kawaii twice, and the Big Island twice. Each trip somewhat different, but all wonderful. But many of the places you mentioned would supply that same beach atmosphere.<BR><BR>Thailand might be a good place as well. Very friendly and good infrastructure. Also I think Singapore has some great places for children -- a huge zoo or wild animal park or something?<BR><BR>Anyway, with a 5-year-old you're really at the start of being able to go almost anywhere. Let us know what you decide!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Gigi

Marilyn- thanks so much again for responding! The photography show sounds great and very interesting! Is there any way the general public could see the show on Angkor Wat or any show that your husband photographed and you wrote?<BR>That is also a good recommendation about Hawaii and it may be a good choice-- and I've heard a lot of good things about Thailand. We'll let you know what we decide and it was very nice talking to you.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Marilyn

Nice talking with you too, Gigi. Where are you located? The Angkor Wat show will certainly be shown, but can't say where or when right now. You can email me at my hotmail account if you like.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Gigi

Thanks again Marilyn. And I'm from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Nick

Gigi, how did your child do when you were in Malaysia? What was that, like 2 yrs ago? The kid probably built up some pretty good immunities.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:28 PM
xyz

too too long a flight for the little ones!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -