Khao Lak in November

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Khao Lak in November

Hi

My wife and I will be travelling in late November and are considering staying at Khao Lax for 5 nights. I have looked at the wedsite www.khaolak.de and found it very informative.

Can anyone recommend the best place to stay for under $100 a night?

Thanks,

Bill
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 02:06 AM

Khao Lak is getting very popular!

Try the Baan Khaolak, very good value and excellent Thai design, here's a place that has cheap local rates

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ns...aolak/details/

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

JamesA,

Thanks for that link. I sense you may have reservations about Khao Lak, is there anywhere else along the the coast you would suggest ?

Bill
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 10:07 AM

Khao Lak has some great hotels/resorts, but there is not much to do. The 'town' area surrounds the main road from Ranong to Phuket. It lacks any Thai character or style and the Scandinavian restaurants were busier than local Thai places, lots of tailor shops. Not much else.
Although it is a lot quieter than many other places that can also mean somewhat 'boring'.
I know everyone seeks that idyllic location but personally I like to get out an see/do a few things.
For beaches and relaxation fine, but it actually feels like a package resort these days! My personal opinion. The road both north and south is not very good, which means getting to anywhere interesting is a bit of a hassle.
Whether you enjoy it will depend a great deal on where else you have been in Thailand(?).
You might be better off at a quieter/less developed beach area of Phuket and then at least have easy access for sightseeing, shopping etc.
Nice resorts on a nice beach are easy to find, but if you want to mix that with a few good evenings out and sightseeing trips you need to be close to them.
Depends entirely what you seek/anticipations.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

James,

We stayed at the Southern Lanta Resort
on the North of Ko Lanta early December 2002. We loved Ko Lanta, but found that apart from snorkeling and diving there was not a whole lot to do.

We were thinking of Khao Lak as there seems to be a lot to do there during the day, National Park, diving at Ko Similian etc.

While we are not into parties and girly bars etc it would be nice not to be the only people in the bars in the evenings.

Where would you suggest as a compromise on Phuket?

Thanks,

Bill