Khantoke dinner in Chiang Mai

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Kathy

Khantoke dinner in Chiang Mai

I know this is purely a tourist affair, but has anyone gone to a khantoke dinner in Chiang Mai (northern Thai dinner with hilltribe dancing?) We have reservations to go to the Old Chiangmai Cultural Center, and I'm wondering if it's nicely done.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:49 AM
AnnaC

We went to the Chiang Mai Cultural Centre khantoke dinner last year. Although it was very touristy, it was very enjoyable and great value for money.

The food was good, all the staff very pleasant and helpful. One tip, though -we upset the photographer by not telling him where we were staying - he wanted to meet us the next day and show us the pictures. We didn't want to buy any and certainly didn't want to waste any of our very short time in Chiang Mai on a sales pitch. We hadn't wanted to have our picture taken at all, but they insisted, saying there was no obligation to buy. So, if you don't want pictures, put your foot down and don't let them take any.

There were dancing displays during the meal, then we all moved through to another area to watch some more displays of traditional dances, mostly by various hill tribes. What I liked about these is that, though they were staged, the people were clearly genuine hill tribe people and also clearly not professional dancers - there were some hesitations and lack of confidence that added to the experience rather than detracting from it.

So, yes it's touristy, but nicely done and I thought it was worth it.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Daniela

I agree with Anna. It is definetly worth it. We where there 3 years ago and had a great time. After the dinner is served, you can actualy move your pillow at a better viewing spot..( you sit on the ground, so ware pants).Too bad we did not have enough time after the show to buy more of the unusual instruments the locals are selling. I did not see them at the Night Bazar.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Kathy

Thanks so much for the really helpful info & advice. They ought to include this in the next Fodors'guide book!

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:51 PM
Barry

We were at the Khantoke dinner 2 weeks ago and it is still exactly the same as AnnaC and Daniela have described. The only thing I have to add is that the food is excellent and there is as much as you want. Also we had our photo taken as well but no-one hassled us about buying it at all. A good night out.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 12:17 AM
sarah

Agree, excellent night out, don't worry that it is 'touristy' as it's the best way to have a good dinner and enjoy a sample of the country's culture.