Hotel in Patong Beach

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 04:23 AM
christina

Hotel in Patong Beach

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Patong Beach -shopping area?. Thanks

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Ursula

Christina: Do you have to go to Patong Beach?
It's not beautiful, nor charming nor anything else. Too crowded, too loud, too cheapish. It's ok to shop around or for dinner. But not for the day. The beaches are public and terribly crowded.
I prefer Kata Beach from where you can go to Patong as well. Patong is comparable to Kuta, Bali. Maybe, you might like it (if you are very young), but if you are over 20/25y. I would have my doubts. Let's see about other comments.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Kathy

Christina....Ursula is absolutely right.
Patong=THE PITS.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 11:13 AM
sarah

Sorry to say have to agree. Years ago Patong was blossoming into a lovely place but over construction and the massive rise in beer bars, go-go bars etc have lost Patong it's character. Kata and Karon are far nicer but also beginning to suffer with buildings all over the place. IMHO Thailand is simply the most beautiful place to visit and indeed Phuket and so many other locations are lovely, but Patong!!!!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:06 AM
kristie

Don't do it - It's much better to stay a little outside - that way you can have the best of both worlds - shopping and bars/peaceful beaches. We stayed at Karon Beach - it was wonderful with plenty of places to visit in the evening and only a short, inexpensive, tut tut ride from Patong and all its attractions. Have a great holiday

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 10:39 AM
philip

Christina,
I agree with the previous posts. Patong is easy to access by tuk-tuk "cab" without the need to stay there.

A great hotel is the Chedi. It is about 20 minutes away but the hotel runs a shuttle bus. It is secluded and has one of the best beaches on the island.

Phuket is great. Just don't waste your time staying in Patong.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Margaret

Agree with what everyone else has said, Patong is awful, if you must go to Phuket, go to other beaches, away from Patong.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:32 AM
Pauline

Agree with all.. I personally stayed at Bangtao Beach in May this year.. rented a jeep and drove around for the experience.. Karon beach is a good bet too.. the beach is so clean and not crowded with deck chairs like Patong.. Patong is only great at night for food or some night life, even shopping in Phuket town is much cheaper

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:47 AM
Ursula

Pauline: Agree with you about shopping in Phuket town. We were picked by a tuk-tuk driver as we left the hotel shuttle and he asked us whether we wanted a ride. We gladly accepted because it was hot. He took us around a whole afternoon to good places for shopping. We had to change money at a bank (better change than in the hotel), get batteries for radio, etc. and he was really a very nice guy. There was not much business around and he was happy to have found us. I cannot remember what he charged, but it was really cheap and he did not take us to places because he wanted to make business. No, he even helped us in a shopping mall to find the batteries we needed.
We took pictues with him to send. Never got an answer though. It was a very pleasant afternoon.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 12:23 AM
Louise

Whilst there are some truths in what the others are saying, obviously not everybody would agree seeing as it is crowded someone must like it. That someone would be me and the many other people that I met there last week, none of whom were first timers to Patong, many, including ourselves can't wait to return. Having said this I would have no hesitation in recommending the Patong Beach Hotel, not only for it's location but for the Hotel itself. Sure there's Bars but there all on the side streets and you don't need to go past them if you don't want to. Shopping prices start high but if you can bargain at all prices are sometimes cheaper than Bangkok.