Kerala: Periyar Tiger Trail

Sep 20th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Kerala: Periyar Tiger Trail

Has anyone been on the Periyar Tiger Trail run by TourIndia? (http://www.tourindiakerala.com/periyar_tiger_trail.htm). It is an overnight trek in the jungle led by former poachers, and we hope to see wild elephants.

My husband and I will be spending 1 week in Kerala in January.

Is this trek worth it? Please share if you have been on the trip or heard something about it.

--Thanks!
Sep 20th, 2005, 01:18 PM

Actually, if that's all you're after you can see large herds of wild elephants just by taking the cheap boat tour at the Periyar Reserve in the late afternoon http://www.keralagreenery.org/thekkady.html.
Sep 21st, 2005, 03:22 AM

Spending a moon lit night on a houseboat in one of the Kerala backwater lagoons is a much better idea then going through a jungle.
Are your so-called 'poacher' guides going armed...certainly not...they will be in big trouble with the wildlife wardens. What happens if a tusker, gaurding a young one, comes after you?
Sep 21st, 2005, 07:56 PM

I was definitely not imprssed by Periyar. I agree with the previous poster. Spend more time in the Kerala backwaters. That's the really beautiful and magical place to be.
Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:57 AM

I agree with Mealea. I'd go to Periyar only if I was going via car between Kerela to Madurai during the course of your trip.
Sep 25th, 2005, 08:37 AM

You should visit Munnar and Kerala Backwaters.Munnar is the place to be, if you want to see lush green tea gardens and waterfalls. Try staing at Mahindra Lake View Munnar.
Sep 26th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! We would stop in Periyar on our way from Madurai to Alappuzha.

The former poachers are accompanied by an armed forest guard. At night, at least two of the guides are awake at all times to protect you from any marauding elephants.

I have read a good review of this trek: http://www.i-escape.com/hotel.php?hotel_key=IS030

We will spend time on the houseboat from Alappuzha after we leave Periyar. I would love to spend more time on the backwaters, but the houseboats and any of the nice homestays on the water are REALLY expensive. My husband and I are still students, so on a tight budget, save a few splurges.

If anyone can recommend cheap places to stay on the backwaters, please share!!!
Sep 26th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Since you know about i-escape, then you've probably already read about Keraleeyam. It's a beautiful, cozy, and authentic place. The food is amazing. Absolute paradise. If you stay there, you'll really regret leaving and not spending your whole vacation there. I think they have some cheaper rooms in the main house. Keraleeyam has my highest recommendation.

With only one week in Kerala, I would personally divide my time between Keraleeyam to relax and explore the backwaters and a short stay in Cochin. The Malabar House is wonderful, but there are plenty of cheaper places too. A lot of people have told you Periyar isn't so great, but you don't seem to believe it.
Sep 29th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice!
Ok, let's strike Periyar from the intinerary. The whole eco-project / sleeping out in the jungle just seemed like a great idea...but maybe only on paper.

I looked into Keraleeyam, and it's got very mixed reviews on Indiamike. However, it seems to be the best value for the budget, so maybe we'll stay there anyway. Philipkutty's farm seems just the kind of place we are looking for, but oh so expensive. I thought "homestays" should be reasonably priced. Can anyone recommend other homestays in the area?

Also, how important is it that I book a houseboat (either overnight or day trip) or other lodging right now? I am not much of a fan of strict itineraries, so would it be ok to just get there and ask around and see where we end up---for adventure's sake? Or do we risk being stranded or having a miserable time if we wait till the last minute?

You all are really helpful! Thanks!