Search

Kerala

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2001, 10:22 AM
I

Kerala

We are thinking of visiting Kerala next year but have heard that alcohol is very rarely available and when it is - its expensive. Is this true - whilst we don't drink heavily the thought of a "dry" holiday does not really appeal. <BR> <BR>I would be grateful for any other info about the place. <BR> <BR> <BR>I

Old May 19th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Kathy

My husband and I spent four weeks in India two years ago, two of which were in the South including Kerala. We too enjoy "happy hour" at the end of a long day and wine with our meals. The Indian wines, the only ones readily available, are expensive, more than $20 a bottle, and not good at all. We tried them on two occasions and were not happy with them at all. We settled for two large bottles of Kingfisher beer at the end of the day. We picked them up at the nearest outlet and returned to our room to sit and relax before dinner. I never drink beer at home but at the end of each long and very hot day of sightseeing the Kindfisher tasted quite good. If you'll be satisfied with the beer you will be all set. It did taste quite good. PS: India is a wonderful experience...We will return within the next few years.

Old May 19th, 2001, 11:49 PM
Ursula

Bring a bottle each (Gin, Vodka, Rum or whatever)from the airport's duty free shop where you will leave. So you can mix your drink for the happy hour with soda or orange juice. You should also be able to get these little bottles from your minibar at the hotel. But they are expensive all over the world. And I agree with Kathy, I very rarely drink beer at home, but I do in Asian countries and I did in India as well. <BR>Kerala must be very nice. Have been to Radjastan so far and enjoyed it very much. <BR>Have a nice trip.

Old May 20th, 2001, 03:33 AM
andrehoover

hi Kristie <BR> <BR>Came back from a splendid tour of India and was just checking around on the fodos site and saw your posting... Well if you are just tyring to avoid a dry holiday , it won't be a problem as there is liquer available everywhere but the problems might be in your choice of brand. There are apart from Kerala many intresting places to explore. E-Mail me and I will send you a copy of my itinerary.. have a nice holiday and make the most of India , itis a beautiful country

Old May 20th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Kristie

Thank you all for your replies on drink in Kerala. Kingfisher beer sounds good to me. Kathy, you said that the local shops sell beer - how many rupees are they and will we be allowed to take them into unlicenced restaurants as we do like a drink with our meal, even if it is only beer! I too have tried Indian wine - not the best I have to say. We have visited Goa a few times and visited in February after a break of 4 years - Could'nt believe how much it has changed. We still had a great time - but would like to find a beach resort like Goa used to be. <BR> <BR>Thanks once again for taking the trouble to reply. I'd be pleased to hear about anyone else's trip to Kerala with any tips they might have. <BR> <BR>Kristie

Old May 29th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Kathy

The next time we visit India I would like to spend a few days on a rice boat. Here's a link about that experience. <BR>http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/html/l...op_direct.html

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Mika

I have lived in Saudi Arabia for 2 years, and you are moaning about a holiday of perhaps 2 or 3 weeks without booze!

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Suzy Schwartz

Dear Kristie<BR>I was in India 8 yrs. ago for 4 1/2 wks.I'm not a beer drinker either but drank it very happily there. The restaurants that do serve will have gin etc. You can probably carry a small amount (a flask would be a good idea)in your bag or carry-all into the other places. Kerala was about my favorite place, very lush and beautiful. Also their trucks are painted with the most incredible folk art. I found out that the drivers do it themsleves. They thought I was crazy for photographing them and getting so excitied about it.<BR>Enjoy, and have your camera ready!

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Milank

Getting alcohol in Kerala is no problem. But yes it is expensive since Kerala is ruled by communist party and therefore tax all luxuries heavily. <BR> <BR>The best alternative as someone pointed out is to take your own drinks from he duty free shop or to drink beer.