kbal spean, Beng mealea, koh ker in one day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to do all 3 of these sights in one day? I contacted Peace D' Ankor and it seems the overnight they offer in Koh Ker is a photo trip.
Also if anyone has been to Koh Ker would you highly reccomend it?
Thanks
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 03:38 PM

It sounds like doing all 3 in one day would be a bit much. You could do two in one day maybe. I think Peace of Angkor trips are described as photo trips because one of the owners is an avid photographer who understands that others would also love to take amazing photos. It doesn't seem like it's photo lessons or anthing like that, but being in the right place a the right time and being shown some places that are exquisite that you might otherwise miss on your own. The tours can be private, for your group only, and as such, I don't see why you couldn't ask them to tailor it a bit to your specific interests. You could ask them if you could do all three in one day and skip the overnight, though the overnight in a village house sounds like a nice opportunity.

If that isn't what you want to do, you could also arrange a driver and guide, like Ponheary or her brother Dara, for example (guides and drivers abound in Siem Reap), and ask their advice.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Kim, I have just emailed Peace D' Ankor back. The first responce was mostly about Photography, but I am checking again along with Ponhery. My daughter just got back from hiking Machu Pichu and thinks Koh Ker looks like a great excursion. One notation for your research is there is no inside plumbing in the guest house in koh Ker.
We did get reservations for .D.L.P, The cost was $2,500++ for 5 nights. That was for 2 rooms, since my daughter and mabe my son will be with us. That seems very outragous. I will use some of your other suggustions to cut the price down a little.
Also thank you for your description of Siem Reap.

I have traveled to many developing countries, Last year spendt time in schools and hospitals in India and have volunteered in the townships in Cape Town so not much will shock me.

I enjoy roaming around the cities to get a feel of the culture along with visiting the temples.
You have really done some great reserch and thank you for sharing. I will post if I find any other options.
Sally
I
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:07 AM

personally, i wouldn't do them all in one day, as you will be tired!
the climb up kbal spean, is a 30-60 min hike up not particuarly easy terrain - granted its not incredibly difficult, but don't underestimate the heat etc
beng melea is also a bit more energentic, although fab, and involves lots of climbing, clambering and squeezing through windows!
koh ker is also great, take some time to explore the smaller temples off it.

we went to koh ker and beng melea in one day - cost $100 ish dollars for the car (4 of us), and kbal spean and bantay srei on another day
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Air,
Thanks for the great information on the outer temples. You really helped me figure out what is a reasonable amount to do each day.

We have decided to go the Peace of Ankor 2 day one night, overnighting at koh Ker. That will allow us to explore at a liesurely pace and still have 4 nights in Siem Reap.
I also enjoyed reading your trip report. Our information was very helpful. You gave some great information and descriptions on activities and the Temple sights.
The Childrens show sounds great. Is there any other local evening entertainment you or anyone on this sight would reccommend for Two adults and our two adult kids?

We have booked Ponheary for 2 days, I assume she will have suggustions.

Also we will have to take Laos Air in orer to make our connection out of Bkk. Can anyone comment on safety and reliability of Laos Air?
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about all the typos. I have a hard time seeing this little print and don't notice until i post.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 03:04 AM

with 4 nights in siem reap, there are a few things you could do, inc the obligitory aspara dance show - they're everywhere, not that we particuarly enjoyed the one we saw as the people looked so miserable!
you could also catch a shadow puppet show, there's 2 places listed in the lonely planet guide,
aki ra's kids show is another (http://www.akiramineaction.com/) may have more details.
and just dinner, a drink or 2, and a wander around is also a fun way to spend an evening.

A trip on the tonle sap down to the flooded forest is also good.

Hope the peace of angkor tour is good, i'm looking at using them when i go back in january for a few of the temples further away like preah vihear and bantay chammar.
have you decided upon hotels etc yet? I hate to plug it again, but we stayed at palm village and loved it more than the marriot spa in bangok!

appologies for repetition, can't remember what i wrote in my trip report!
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Air
I found the link very interesting and informative. I really enjoy having contact with the local people and don't enjoy any kind of shows that feel too staged. Also the flooded forest sounds like a nice break from the temples. To do all I would like to do I may have to take a night from PP. We have two nights there. I realize it is not an attractive city, but feel from a historial standpoint it is a must see for us.

I cannot seem to find any reviews on the Palm village. Their web site is a little limited. I am picky about very good bathrooms, clean charming rooms and a comtable bed after the long days at the temples.

I am still waiting for some responces back on hotels. Most people seem pretty happy with where they stay. I do want to stay in town. I am getting very confused with so many options. We are confirmed at HDLP. I will continue to explore a few other options.

I have been correspending with Peter from Peace of Ankor and am so impressed with his knowledge and the way he is setting up a custom trip for us. It sounds like and amazing experience.

I appreciate all the help, since trying to meet up with both of our kids along with fitting in our must sees is driving me crazy.

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 08:18 AM

there are very few reviews for palm village out there, there are some on virtual tourist. We actually prefered it that way, cause it stays quiet and not becoming too touristy!
There is a main section, which has open sides, which is split - reception on one side, and food served on the other side, and a huge pool table in the middle.
Its customery to take your shoes off when you walk thro, which doesn't pose a big problem.
There are 16 individual bungalows, twins or doubles, with a fridge and cable tv. the bathroom is lovely, clean etc. the shower is a sunken walk in variety.
The rooms were cleaned daily, as was the little patio outside. The inside of the bungalows are all banboo, and very authentic. We're staying when we go back in january.
pretty much everything they use to cook with is grown in the gardens, and the pool is a welcome cool dip!
breaskfast is a mammoth affair, that you order the night before.
you get a sheet for you to tick things off on, pretty much something on every line. if i remember rightly
- bread - butter, cheese (laughing cow), jam
- pancakes - pineapple, banana, mango
- fresh fruit - pineapple etc
- eggs - scrambled, fried, hard boiled
- chicken porridge, chicken soup (sounds odd but great brekkie)
- fresh fruit juice
- tea
- coffee

usually the soup and bread was more than enough!
We actually loved it more than the Marriot spa in bangkok!
Phnom penh, we stayed there 3 nights - arrived late afternoon on night 1.
next day went to s21, killing fields, Friends Restaurant for lunch, Royal palace and silver pagoda, and national museum. Next day, 2 of us went on a cooking course, and the other 2 took a trip on the river. Flew out the following morning. A torch is handy - we had powercuts for up to 4hrs at a time once or twice each day! - we stayed at the Billabong
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Alr837 - do you have personal photos of Palm Village? I always like to see "unpolished" photos of the rooms to get a better idea of the condition. We're going to Siem Reap in Dec 06 and had thought about Day Inn Angkor (any thoughts on Day Inn Angkor?) but Palm Village looks interesting too (and cheap).
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:54 AM

I do have some photos, but they are only of the outside. The beds were very comfy tho!
A selection of my photos can be seen at

http://annalouiserowe.spaces.msn.com/?&_c02_owner=1

not had time to get them into anything else yet!
the hotel can be seen under the 'other' section of photos
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi Air,
Great photos.Thanks for sharing. You have been a great help. My husband will be leaving after 2 or 3 nights so I am thinking of spliting our time between H.D.L. P. and Palm Village. My husband likes more of the hotel feel and my adult children and I like the smaller intimate places. This could work out well for all.
Sally