kathmandu hotel/transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll be traveling in the next couple weeks and will be staying for abt 7 days in KTM. does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced/safe/clean hotel to stay in? also what is the best way to travel around? car rental/scooter? any tips or anything additional abt traveling in nepal is much needed and appreciated. thanks!
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 06:34 PM

i hope to go next year for a few days, so will you please write us up a nice report of your visit and post it here....we all would be most appreciative....i'm planning on staying at the hyatt, but that is not budget...
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Hyatt, Katmandu, may not be the cheapest but my stay in Nov. 2004 was excellent. It is worth trying for a discount!! I found a 3-day package on the web-site. I would also recommend you hire a car with driver - mine was pre-booked prior to driving to Polkara, Tansen, Lumbini and Chitwan, etc. but this was a 12 day break.

Good luck
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

tx guys, how long is the trip to pokhara? how much money should i budget for 7 days? should i carry NPR or USD?
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 10:07 AM

You can book a car and driver in Katmandu and it will be less expensive than pre-booking. You can carry US dollars, but you'll want to exchange them in Katmandu.

Bob, the Hyatt is outside of town. You may want to spend a few days at the Yak and Yeti. This is the elegant old hotel in Katmandu.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Kathamndu is one of my favorite cities and you will certainly enjoy! I lived there for a year back on 93 and have since returned almost every year. There are actually three cities in the valley, Kathmandu, Patan, and Bhaktapur,-(each with its own main square, temples and charm-so make sure to visit all of them.) I just love Bhaktapur! Getting around KTM is very easy, and your choices are meterd taxis-(cheap-or u can bargain beforehand a fixed price) or cycle rickshaws for shorter distances.(negotiable) If you are looking for economical places to stay, buy all means set off to the budget area of the city called, Thamel. U will find hundreds of small guesthouses and inexpensive hotels. U do not even need reccos and to many to list. One of the msot famous is the Kathmandu guest house, but there are such an array of economical options. This area is alot of fun whether u stay there or not, filled with bars, cafes, resturants, shopes,etc, etc. Something u can compare somewhat comparte to a bANGLAMPOO district of Bangkok, for all the Thai-files on this site. In terms of the better luxury hotels, the top ones in random order are The Taj-Annapurna, The Radisson, The Yak and YETI and the Hyatt and the soaltee. There are a few more high end properties, but those mentioned would be the top. Anyways, i have stayed at all, so each has its on character and identity. Most of the top hotels are located downtown KTM near the Kings Palace,(on/nearDurbar Marg) and a walking distance to Thamel. The YAK and Yeti would be the most characteristic and expensive too, but it is again an older property. I believe the fisrt five star in the valley. If you stay there, go for the rooms in the older wing, they are much nicer and have much more character and charm. The new wing, nothing special. But if you do not stay there, u might want to go for lunch, lovely resturants. The HYATT i LOVE! it is located a bit out of town, (20 mins) but it is a really peaceful beautiful property with great rooms many with superb mountain views and also views of the Tibetan Stupa. It is located near the Tibetan area of Boudnath and the huge Stupa, which is one of my favorite places to go in KTM and this hotel is probably one of the top@. The Soaltee cROWN Plaza is another top hotel, but i do not love the location and that hotel has seen better days and it's been a bit in the news of late as per its allignment with the royal family. The other big properties, the Annapurna, (also-has seen better days!) and the Radisson(a fine functional/property). What else..Can write on and on..But a few things, u should try to make it up to one of the neighborhoring mountain towns for a nite or for sunset/sunrise like Nargokot or Dhuilikel. And u should try to visit POKHARA(one of my fave places). U can fly about 35 minutes or take the road, car or bus, about 7 hours. In kathmandu, make sure to visit my favorite temple, Swayumbunath(monkey Temple), and spend plenty of time hanging out in Kathamndu Durbar square as well as the other two squares of the valley. Also make sure to visit PASHUPUTINATH, (famous hindu temple) where u can also witness cremations on the Bagmati river. And definately visit the area of Boudnath and see the incredible Buddhist Stupa. Meander, wander, roam, so much to see in the Valley. Feel free to drop me a line with any questions OR more reccos. happy travels, NAMASTE. bONITA
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:20 PM

Hi elbertchu,

I think the Kathmandu guest house is a much cheaper alternative (website: www.ktmgh.com). It is centrally located in thamel and I think reasonably priced with Nepalese style architecture.

If you have seven days in Nepal, you have to visit Pokhara. It is absolutely magical... I stayed at the Base Camp hotel (maybe you can google it). It was budget and very comfortable.
I travelled to Pokhara from ktm by bus. The company was called Greenline. It is meant to be a tourist bus service..supposed to be very reliable and safe. travelling to pokhara from kathmandu by bus takes about 7 hrs but is an adventure in iteself!
More info later if you need it...
Have a great time!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

how long were you in pokhara? i don't want to rush around. was thinking abt the flight, but thats $140 RT right?
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:15 PM

I spent 3 nights in Pokhara. Thats just enough to soak in the atmosphere, climb to the hilltop stupa on the other side of Fewa lake and visit Sarangkot.

I think the Greenline Bus was about USD$20 or so. Much cheaper than the flight. I also always enjoy the beatiful scenery of the little villages along the highway in the countryside.
if you do go to Pokhara , do visit Sarangkot for Sunrise...amazing ..i'll remember it for ever!

have a great trip