kansai itinerary

Search

kansai itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kansai itinerary

hello, my friends and I would like to travel around kansai in late january.. We would like to use JR Rail Pass during our trip.. We have choose places which can easily be reached using JR trains. Is this itinerary suits with the pass and is it enough time to visit the places listed for each day?

23 Jan 2012
Kobe harborland, Meriken Park and akashi kaikyou bridge

24 Jan 2012
start from 8 am
to kyoto (arashiyama and sagano area)
Here i thought maybe we can let a bicycle,but i don't know if it is a good idea since it is in winter?
Walking along the Hozu river, bamboo grooves, Togetsukyo bridge and Iwatayama Monkey Park

25 Jan 2012
Japan Mint Museum(coin museum), Osaka Castle and Nishinomaru garden, Osaka station city(in umeda) and its surrounding.

26 Jan 2012
Nara-I think maybe it is good to buy Nara One Day Bus Pass

Naramachi-kogeikan(craft museum),koshi no ie residence(naramachi lattice house)
Nara Park (for feeding deer)
Heijo Palace

27 Jan 2012
Amanohashidate

thank you!
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 06:22 PM
kja

People travel very differently, but I must admit that it seems that you are skipping some major sites, particularly in Kyoto. I spent 4 very busy days there, and could easily have spent more time. But it really depends on what you want to see and experience, adn I was there in spring, which would be quite different. Sorry I can't comment on some of your more specific questions - I only saw of few of these places. Good luck!
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

okay..thank you.. maybe it is because we have low on budget i think and we want to stick using JR pass.. because afterwards we need to use it to travel from kobe to tokyo using shinkansen maybe..
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:17 PM

I was going to recommend another pass to you until you mentioned your need to go to Tokyo. Yes, you have enough time in the areas you mention but will be pressed for time. What city are you planning to base yourself in? I am in Kyoto today and actually went to Arashiyama today and walked along the Hozugawa (river) . You can rent bikes in Arashiyama at 300 yen per hour or 700 yen for four hours right along the dori towards the bridge area.....can't miss it. The monkey park is up a hill where the bike would be useless to you as you have to hike up the hill on a steep and narrow trail.

You don't need a JR pass to go to Arashiyama if you are staying in Kyoto, you can use the subway system for 240 yen or so. Here is a list of other passes you can use in the Kansai area that are better than the JR Pass. See here for which one you can utilize:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html

Use www.hyperdia.com to figure your rail ticket prices, times and schedules as I am tapping this out on my iphone so too hard for me to figure right now. I know that you need to transfer to a private line part of the way from Kyoto to Amanohashidate and iirc the short distance that the private rail company travels was not cheap and yes it will be very cold in January.

Aloha!
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 01:26 PM

I agree with Hawaiiantraveler that the JR pass might not be the best option for getting around Kansai, especially to Kobe, Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara. In fact, it might be an inconvenience. Some of these places can be accessed more easily by private rail systems. But going to Amanohashidate and Tokyo is a different matter.
You probably need to price out the savings available here. E.g., Is Osaka-Tokyo a return trip or one way?
How cold Japan is in January is relative: For HT, it is indeed "very cold;" for a Canadian like me, not so bad.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 02:01 PM

"Nara-I think maybe it is good to buy Nara One Day Bus Pass"

We didn't take any buses at Nara. All major sights are close & its only 15 - 20 min walk from the train station

I think you should spend at least 2 days in Kyoto. (I was there 5 days and still want to return and see what I've missed). Fushimi Inari was really great, check if it is something you may like.

hope it helps