help with itinerary/ rail info - leaving soon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we're leaving Sunday for Japan for about 9-10 days and I'm looking for advice on how to allocate our days. I was thinking about 5 days in Tokyo and 4 or so in Kyoto - it sounds like there are great day trips that can be done from Kyoto. Does this sound good? Also, I can't figure out if we should get the rail pass or not. Does the pass-eligible Shinkansen run often enough or is it a great experience so it would be worth getting? (our other option is to fly between Tokyo and Osaka) And would it generally cover those Kyoto side trips, and more?? Any help on this is appreciated -- I've been searching for info on this but am confused with what I've heard. Thanks! Of course, any tips for what to do/see/eat are appreciated as well!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

oops, forgot to mention Japan in my subject line!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:46 AM
kja

Hi, einah235 -

How to allocate your time between Tokyo and Kyoto depends on whether you are most interested in seeing modern Japan (Tokyo) or classical Japan (Kyoto). If you are most interested in temples, shrines, gardens, and castles, you might consider adding time to Kyoto. There are some great day trips you can take from Kyoto (e.g., Nara, Himeji), and there is also so much to see in Kyoto itself that 4 days might feel like rushing it.

Sorry I can't help with the rail pass question; I'm sure others will pitch in on that.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Re., JR Rail Pass- it really depends where you are landing into and departing from. Are you landing into and departing from Narita? If so, get the JR Rail Pass- the pass will pretty much cover the cost of a reserved seat on the slower Shinkansen for a return trip to Tokyo/Narita.

If you are leaving from Kansai International at Osaka purchasing a one way fare to Kyoto might be a better option.

That's my thoughts, I'm sure the regular denziens here have better ideas.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

thanks, kja. The more I think about it, the more evenly dividing the two seems like a good idea. And learned a bit more about the rail pass (it's cheaper if you don't get the "green seat!), so it's more tempting. We'll be flying in/out of Narita, but I imagine we'll have at least 1 buffer day after we return from Kyoto.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 04:35 PM

A JR Pass is an especially good deal if you plan on doing side trips from Kyoto in addition to the shinkansen to/from Tokyo. I agree with an earlier posting that how you split your time depends on whether you like modern or traditional. I like both, but would still lean heavier on time in Kyoto (a few days in Tokyo will give you a good sense of the modern element - I'd skip sights like Meiji Shrine as you will see better shrines and temples in Kyoto). From Kyoto you can choose among easy day trips to Nara, Himeji (for the castle), and Hiroshima.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM

A 7 day JR Pass will cost you 28,300 yen.

Let's see

Tokyo to Kyoto via Nozomi Shinkansen 13,520 yen including seat charges

If you do a round trip Tokyo-Kyoto that would be 27,040 yen.

If you do day trips from Tokyo and Kyoto and do the round trip it would be worth getting a JR Pass. You can also get the NEX from Narita to Tokyo with the JR Pass. Depends on what you are going to do.

Some info for you

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359.html

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/index.html

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/tr...on/trains.html

Hope this helps

Aloha!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Ok, let me get this straight. You are planning:
Day 0: arrive Narita
Days 1-3, Tokyo
Day 4, Tokyo to Kyoto
Days 5-8, Kyoto and surrounds
Day 9, Kyoto to Tokyo
Day 10, depart Narita
?
Or what, exactly?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the shinkansen cost breakdown, hawaiian traveler. that's helpful and argues to get the pass. mrwunrfl, your itinerary is basically what's on the drawing board now, except I think I would end up tipping one more day in the Tokyo bucket.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Do you have hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto yet? Which ones are they? Lots of baggage or traveling light? How many of you are we?

If you give us more details we can be more specific on the recommendations we give you.

Aloha!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Depending on which hotel you'll be staying in Tokyo, it may make more sense to use the airport bus (called airport limousines) instead of Narita Express. In this case, all you need are just round-trip shinkansen, and you can take Nozomi (the faster ones) that way.

Also as mrwunrfl pointed out, are you planning to travel from Kyoto to Tokyo to Narita to catch the flight? Or staying a night in Tokyo before you leave?

I would spend 3days in Tokyo (get oriented, sightseeing on its own), 5 days in Kyoto, spend spare days on day-trips (hakone if the weather is nice, I'd skip Kamakura 'cuz you'll be over-temple/shrined in Kyoto). Or Hiroshima/Kurashiki/Miyajima west of Kyoto (in which case you'll need JR pass).

Most important of all, I hope you've booked hotels in Kyoto already...
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

hi, thanks for the suggestions, hawaiian and W9London. We are 2 adults and will travel w/ a suitcase and carry-on each. Haven't booked our rooms yet (I know!). I appreciate the suggestion to skip Kamakura since we will already have seen temples in Kyoto. Think we want to go to Himeji castle though. I like the idea of orienting for a few days in Tokyo, then 5 base days in Kyoto and back to Tokyo for a day and a half before flying home. Again, thanks -- the JNTO site has so much info!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Ok, then a 7-day JR Pass activated for days 3-9. You'll be able to use it:
- in Tokyo on days 4,
- to get to Kyoto,
- to take day trips to Nara and Himeji from Kyoto,
- to return from Kyoto to Tokyo and in Tokyo on day 9.
- to Narita Airport on the Narita Express on day 10.

You might consider taking the train all the way from Kyoto to Narita Airport and spend the night at an airport hotel.

ht, do you think the Suica pass would be applicable for OP on arrival? I remember you mentioned it once.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:54 PM

I didn't get the suica last time but will this time around. OP could use it but will probably need less stress while in Japan for the first time Here is some info on the suica if OP is interested

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html

You might want to send your bigger suitcases ahead of you to Kyoto and then to Narita using the Takuhaibin service....here is how

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

There is room on the train if you want to take luggage with you but....it's up to you. If you do see here

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

here explains how to catch a train and whats involved

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2016.html

Stay the last night in Kyoto as mrw suggests and take the train directly to Narita or if you have an early morning flight stay in Narita or somewhere close.

What, no hotel reservations yet??? Tokyo should be ok but where are you planning to stay in Kyoto? Whats your budget for a hotel?

Aloha!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

mrwunrful, I'm taking your advice more or less and using the rail pass as you suggest. I just think we'll end up taking that one last day in Tokyo though, so will have to pay to get to NRT that last day.

What does OP stand for?

Also, I hadn't anticipated trouble getting rooms in Kyoto -- now I can see that it's rather difficult. Is there something special going on next week/end? Or is that an ongoing issue there? I've "applied" for a room, so hope I get it. And thanks, hawaiian for the valuable train info -- it really helps! You're kind to include links.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:18 PM

OP stands for original poster....that would be you einah235

Aloha!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM

JR East have a Suica/Narita Express (N'EX) promotion going on. For Y3500, you get a single fare on the Narita Express to wherever on the N'EX lines, plus a Suica card with Y1500 credit. They can only be purchased from Narita airport, from the JR offices downstairs, and the N'EX fare is only good for the day booked.

This is great value in my book. Also, while we're talking Tokyo trains, Tokyo Metro are selling one and two day passes for unlimited travel on the privately owned subways. These can also only be purchased at Narita Airport as well.

So these are two options for your time in Tokyo, before having to use your JR Pass. Also, I'd advise redeeming your JR Pass at Narita, and specify the dates that you want to use it, so you don't come up short.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 02:23 PM

You know that you can't buy the JR Pass in Japan - you have to buy the exchange order/voucher in your home country and then you change it into the pass in Japan......

Hope you don't think I'm rude to tell you this,but you seem to be doing things sort of last minute so I just want to make sure you know.....
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the N'EX info, Sydney. I think we'll do that at Narita -- value sounds great. And I'm surprised that you can only get those subway 1 and 2-day passes at the airport, so I guess we'll check that out too. And thanks for the reminder, Mara, I am aware of that. I picked up the voucher for the rail pass today, so at least that's done! I think we'll end up basing ourselves in Osaka for our Kansai stay instead of Kyoto. Rooms are available there!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM

I don't know what your budget is but it looks like the Toyoko Inn near the Shin Osaka Station - Shin Osaka Chuo Guchi Shinkan - has vacancies in the next week or so.....
toyoko-inn.com

Haven't stayed there myself but it is a business hotel - small but has the necessities - single around 6500 yen - double around 8600.....

People on japan-guide.com speak well of it.....

Enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -