Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Kamakura Day Trip..Do I Have the Right Train??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am planning a day trip from tokyo to kamakura in late october. i see i can take the enoshima-kamakura free pass or the kamakura-enoshima free kippu. the enoshima-kamakkura is 30min. slower, and about 500Y cheaper. has anyone taken either of these trains? other than speed and cost, are they other differences? also, any recommendations for a good restaurant in kamakura(preferably one that serves dishes that are famous kamakura cuisine, if there is such a thing). also, how cold will it be in late oct.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:05 PM

Are you leaving from Shinjuku? The time difference is less than 30 min, more like only 15 or 20 min. I see a page that says that the Kippu travel (on JR) is an hour and the Free Pass is 90 minutes. But that is an hour from JR Tokyo station. It is a 12 minute trip from Shinjuku to Tokyo + 3 to 8 min transfer time.

My guess is that the JR and Odakyu trains are comparable and that the Enoden train is just a subway car kind of train. Also, I would expect that making the transfer in Fujisawa (from Odakyu to Enoden) would be easier to find/make than going through Tokyo eki.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Looks like the Enoden rail is the way to go, esp. for visiting the Daibutsu (Great Buddha). I recall that to get to the Daibutsu from JR Kamakura station that I took a light rail train and then walked. I think that is the Enoden electric railway that you would use with the Free Pass and which stops at Hase. The Enoden rail looks like it would be a nice trip as it goes along the shoreline.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 04:44 AM

This probably doesn't help at all but we did the same trip in december and I have no Idea how we got to Kamakura , but we did. A miricle perhaps, we even managed to get back to Shinjuku in one piece too.....lol

Good luck
Muck
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

mrwunrfl: i will be leaving from shinjuku, so i think you are right. the enoshima-kamakura free pass is the one i should get. i can travel freely on the enoden between fujisawa and kamakura. i plan to take the train back to shinjuku late in the afternoon just in time for me to wiggle myself into a "only for regular customers" yatai, or one of the many yakitori smoke pits that dot the back alleys of shinjuku. thanks all for the info.