July Japan trip

Search

July Japan trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July Japan trip

We will be travelling to Japan for 18 nights (Tokyo and Kyoto) in July with our 13 year old son and I have already noted down to visit the Ninja restaurant and Bandai museum mentioned in other posts (thank you to the people who posted about these). Can I take a 13 year old to the restaurant in the evening - the website seems to be mostly in Japanese but the little English there was seemed to suggest that if you go with children you should book before 5.00 p.m. Is this correct? Also the booking facility is also in Japanese, will my hotel be able to book the restaurant for me when I arrive?

We also plan to visit Disney, Nikko Edo Mura, Fuji Q whilst in Tokyo and Universal whist in Kyoto. Anything else which might interest a 13 year old - any suggestions appreciated.

Also, as we will be in Tokyo for the end July fireworks, can anyone recommend a good restaurant or somewhere where we will get a good view of fireworks.

Many thanks for any replies.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:06 PM

ttt
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:25 PM

Well, the Niinja restaurant says in Japanese that children must be accompanied by an adult and on weeknights go between 5:00 and 11:00 pm and from 5:30 - closing on weekends. But, the English says that children can only go on weeknights at 5:00. What I would do is once you know when you want to go, make a reservation by telephone and ask specifically about your son - or have someone call for you. The place doesn't open before 5:00 so you couldn't possibly go before 5:00. Looking at availability for tonight, I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to book the day you want to go.

If you are doing Disney, I'd go to DisneySea if you only have one day, as it is unique to Japan. DisneyLand is pretty much the same as what is in the US. Universal in Osaka is a very small version of the US parks. If you are going to either park on a weekend or anytime after July 25 (summer vacation starts for schools) be prepared for big crowds.

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you KimJapan - I will get the hotel to call and book restaurant for me.

I will be in Japan from mid July to the beginning of Aug so will try to visit Disney before the school hols.

Many thanks for your help.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 04:42 AM

" ...on weeknights go between 5:00 and 11:00 pm and from 5:30 - closing on weekends .. "

Is "11pm" a typo? That's already closiong hour so it does not make difference from weeknights. The Ninja's site I entered says :

http://www.ninja.tv/yoyaku/yoyaku.html
In Japanese
You can come with children :
17:00-19:00 / weekdays
17.00 till closing / Sat.Sun.Hol.

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Yes, my mistake...It is 9:00 pm....I have no idea what made me type 11:00. I looked at the same page as you did and maybe I was just seeing double or something from too long in front of the computer. Sorry PS32.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Kim, you really need a break ;-) 19:00 is 7 pm. That means with children you ca stay there from 5 to 7 for 2 hours.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 09:43 PM

OMG...I think I have lost it. Just ignore anything I say about the times this place is open because I am clearly not competent to read digital time.

On another note, we just went to a lovely restaurant for lunch here in Kanazawa called Ume no Hana...tofu and yuba specialites. Lovely food, lovely service, I am relaxed, refreshed, and very full.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 12:31 AM

I think a 13 year old is hardly a "child" compared to say a 2 or 3 year old.

I think your son would really enjoy the Toei Eigamura in Kyoto. It's a working samurai village where many of the period dramas are made for Japan's TV. I went there last April & loved it.

Another good activity is the Hozugawa River trip which you can access from Arashiyama (Kyoto).
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:05 AM

Has anyone mentioned the Ghibli museum in Mitaka? That's not just good for 13 year olds, but any year olds.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Kim, I know Ume No Hana (flower of plum)! That's a nice restaurant chain. I ate twice at one in Shin-Yurigaoka in a suburb of Tokyo where my siter lives. Once I ate with her at a open dining room and another time at a private tatami room with my friend family. I love those restaurants specilaized in tofu and yuba. With certain menus, you make yuba yourself on the table from soy milk. That's fun and also nice to eat fresh yuba!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 12:51 AM

PS32,
You could check out the website tokyowithkids.com for some good information.

If you want to see cool amusement parks that are not touristy, I'd recommend Fuji Q Highland - because you get a great view of Mt. Fuji from the Fujiyama roller coaster. It's worth going just for that. My top recommendation would be Yomiuri Land, in western Tokyo. It's a fun place in summer with rides, roller coasters, and a big water park with water slides, wave pools, etc. There's also Toshimaen for really intense water slides.

Harajuku would be the place to hang around in Tokyo for good people watching, fashion, and teenagers.

As for fireworks, the best thing is not to "watch from a restaurant" but to be right in the middle of the festivities. Japanese summer fireworks and festivals are really special. I'd recommend the Edogawa fireworks. Just bring a picnic mat or blanket, buy food from the vendors, and set up on the grassy area just by the river. This is a good one because it has a more spacious feeling than some of the more crowded and densely packed festivals. You'll have to check for the exact dates of the various fireworks around Tokyo and some are better than others. Don't even consider the super crowded Sumidagawa fireworks.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:05 AM

Bonjour PS32,

I hope you've made provision for the big Gion festival in Kyoto, culminating in the float parade on July 17.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who replied - all suggestions much appreciated.