JNTO Offices in U.S.

Oct 6th, 2004, 04:23 PM
emd
Original Poster

JNTO Offices in U.S.

Has anyone been to one of their offices in the U.S. for help? I am visitng NYC end of this week and will have some free time on Friday. I have had a hard time getting them on the phone and wondered if I'll get some attn. if I walk in there for help. I want to find out if I can get train schedules in English and a few other things from them. But I don't want to go there if it is not going to be productive. Any experience?
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:41 AM

When I was planning my trip to Japan a couple of years ago, I stopped in the JNTO office in Chicago. They had a few of the more "glossy" type brochures and could order others to be sent to me. I found the best however, was their website, www.jnto.go.jp, which includes many features such as a rail time table function where you can put dates, departure and arrival cities and get times, fares, etc. Also, at that time they had great walking tours of various locations in the country. Enjoy planning your trip.
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:57 AM
rsm

I live in NYC and have been to the JNTO many times. They have a selection of maps & hotel guides and can answer most questions. They might not have the most recent JR timetable but there is a Japan Rail office in the same building.

JNTO (212) 757-5641
One Rockefeller Plaza (49th Street)
Suite 1250

Japan Rail (212) 332-8686
Suite 1622

The Kinokuniya Bookstore (the largest Japanese bookstore in NYC) is also worth visiting. It is right next door to One Rockefeller Plaza.
Oct 7th, 2004, 07:43 AM

laurie,

Where is the JNTO office in Chicago??
their website says only NY,SF,and LA ?
Oct 7th, 2004, 01:01 PM

When I visited it was in the Equitable Building (not sure it's still called that but the one set back on the plaza just south of the Tribune building on Michigan Avenue at the river). Maybe they closed it.
Oct 8th, 2004, 11:01 AM

rsm: THANKS for the tip on the Japan Rail Office in NYC! I am in NYC now and am going to try to head over there this afternoon- I really want a paper train timetable in English and hope they have one there.
Oct 10th, 2004, 06:10 AM
emd
Original Poster

rsm: THANKS big time! At 4:35 on Friday, I left Park Avenue, sprinted to Rockefeller Plaza, and arrived at Japan Rail Office at 4:45. They buzzed me in and I spoke w/the office manager. He gave me a train schedule in English! This is what I wanted and needed. However, he did say that they come out quarterly (this one came out in July), so a new one is coming out for March 2005 when we are going. He is going to send me the new one when he gets it. He even gave me his card so I can fax him. That office has a very small staff and is not good at answering the phone- the message refers you to their website. I saw no info on Japan Rail's website about this NY office, and would never have known if you hadn't told me.
Then I sprinted to the JNTO office on the 12th floor at 5 p.m., thinking they'd be closed. But they let me in and I stayed for 30 min. gathering brochures, great maps, and guess what- as I walked out they handed me the English train schedule book! But they do not get the new quarterly books as quick as Japan Rail's NY office, so I still need the contact at JR office to get that March schedule in time for my March 13 trip.
When I got back to my hotel rm. in NYC after all of this, I started looking through the train schedule and Kyoto brochure I had gotten and was suddenly overwhelmed w/the beauty of the pictures and the generosity of people on this board (and that kind man at the JR office) who have helped me so much to get this trip together. I'm not an overly emotional person, but I was moved to tears. Thank you again.
Oct 10th, 2004, 06:19 AM
emd
Original Poster

BTW, the lady at the JNTO was stuffing big manilla envelopes for people hwo have written in asking for particular info, so that is an option. They also gave me a small nice traveler's translation booklet to take w/me on the trip, and it looks particularly useful.

Search this Thread