Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Jetstar vs AirAsia vs Tiger vs Thai Airways - BKK to SIN - recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In June we want to fly R/T from Bangkok to Singapore (after being in Bangkok for a week). The prices of Jetstar, AirAsia and Tiger are similar and Thai is almost twice as much for the 5 of us to travel. I would love to hear your recommendations.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 05:54 AM

I flew with Air Asia and Tiger last year and I didn't have any problems. Just remember that you have to pay extra for luggage, reserved seating, etc. I would pick the cheapest flight or the one that fits my schedule the best.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 06:43 AM

Thai is a full-service airline. No extra charges to get an assigned seat or for a regular baggage allowance. The others, being budget airlines, have extra charges for those things. All of the airlines are fine, have a good safety record, etc.

So look at schedules and what the extra charges are and decide what best meets your needs. Sometimes the budget airline prices are much lower, sometimes the prices are about the same or even more once you consider extra charges.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 07:51 AM

air asia is just fine if you can keep within their checked luggage allowances, which you can also upgrade for a fee...

i also strongly suggest that you pay extra for the preferred boarding/seating....this gives you rows 1-5, you get on first and you can pick your seat in advance.... we usually pick aisle and window and most often the middle seat is left empty. we have never experienced any delays with them.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 08:03 AM

I flew Air Asia, no prob. You might want to book early because that's a popular route. Just don't eat the food. It's horrible.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM

In the last 2 years, I've flown at least two times on all of these except Tiger.

Fly the one that's the least expensive. Bkk to Sin is a short hop and the difference in the actual flight are not enough to pay double on Thai Air.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input.
I plan now to book Jetstar or AirAsia and pay extra to get an assigned seat or priority boarding as I have a 6'4" son who will appreciate an aisle seat.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

I booked on AirAsia as they had the best flight times for our schedule. I did pay extra for priority seating so that my tall sons could sit in the emergency exit aisles and have a little more leg room. Will post after the trip how the travel experience is.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 06:57 PM

tiger is having a sale right now
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:03 PM

Thanks for posting that Bob, I need tix BKK- SIN so will look sooner rather than later if they are having a sale.