Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Jetstar vs AirAsia vs Tiger vs Thai Airways - BKK to SIN - recommendations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/jetstar-vs-airasia-vs-tiger-vs-thai-airways-bkk-to-sin-recommendations-888235/)

Sandeak Apr 26th, 2011 05:47 AM

Jetstar vs AirAsia vs Tiger vs Thai Airways - BKK to SIN - recommendations?

In June we want to fly R/T from Bangkok to Singapore (after being in Bangkok for a week). The prices of Jetstar, AirAsia and Tiger are similar and Thai is almost twice as much for the 5 of us to travel. I would love to hear your recommendations.

mcbg1 Apr 26th, 2011 05:54 AM

I flew with Air Asia and Tiger last year and I didn't have any problems. Just remember that you have to pay extra for luggage, reserved seating, etc. I would pick the cheapest flight or the one that fits my schedule the best.

Kathie Apr 26th, 2011 06:43 AM

Thai is a full-service airline. No extra charges to get an assigned seat or for a regular baggage allowance. The others, being budget airlines, have extra charges for those things. All of the airlines are fine, have a good safety record, etc.

So look at schedules and what the extra charges are and decide what best meets your needs. Sometimes the budget airline prices are much lower, sometimes the prices are about the same or even more once you consider extra charges.

rhkkmk Apr 26th, 2011 07:51 AM

air asia is just fine if you can keep within their checked luggage allowances, which you can also upgrade for a fee...

i also strongly suggest that you pay extra for the preferred boarding/seating....this gives you rows 1-5, you get on first and you can pick your seat in advance.... we usually pick aisle and window and most often the middle seat is left empty. we have never experienced any delays with them.

mohan Apr 26th, 2011 08:03 AM

I flew Air Asia, no prob. You might want to book early because that's a popular route. Just don't eat the food. It's horrible.

lcuy Apr 26th, 2011 11:06 AM

In the last 2 years, I've flown at least two times on all of these except Tiger.

Fly the one that's the least expensive. Bkk to Sin is a short hop and the difference in the actual flight are not enough to pay double on Thai Air.

Sandeak Apr 27th, 2011 06:04 AM

Thank you for your input.
I plan now to book Jetstar or AirAsia and pay extra to get an assigned seat or priority boarding as I have a 6'4" son who will appreciate an aisle seat.

Sandeak Apr 27th, 2011 02:49 PM

I booked on AirAsia as they had the best flight times for our schedule. I did pay extra for priority seating so that my tall sons could sit in the emergency exit aisles and have a little more leg room. Will post after the trip how the travel experience is.

rhkkmk Apr 27th, 2011 06:57 PM

tiger is having a sale right now

Smeagol Apr 27th, 2011 10:03 PM

Thanks for posting that Bob, I need tix BKK- SIN so will look sooner rather than later if they are having a sale.