Jet lag to India

Search

Jet lag to India

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet lag to India

Well... I'm a bit anxious. I have flown for five or six hour plane trips before but my trip to India is going to be a long one !!! 19 or 20 hours, the time difference is 9 1/2 hours. I will arrive in India between 2-3 a.m. What's the best way to handle the jetlag? When should I sleep? When I get there or should I stay up till the next night? I was hoping to sleep alot on the plane.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:39 AM

As soon as you get to your new location, try to behave in concert with the time zone you've just arrived in. Once you get to your hotel, take a warm bath and try to sleep. Get up at a reasonable time in the morning. Morning exposure to the sun will help re-set your body clock.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:51 AM

beachik,

I wouldn't worry about it too much...after about eight hours of flying, it all becomes a blur and you may find yourself in a semi-catatonic state for the remaining 11-12 hours.

Hopefully, you are capable of sleeping on long flights, something that I was not capable of until about my 6th ultralong flight (over 12 hour flight). By setting my watch immediately to the local time zones, I was able to adapt pretty well on my last trip (Zambia and South Africa).

Good luck.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks Kathie and Roccco! I will try and sleep on these flights but to tell you the truth, it won't be easy for me, I'm not the best sleeper when it comes to being away from home. Have you been to India already? I have been trying to read alot on here. I am going with an open mind though and mentally preparing myself for the poverty I may see and I am sure there will be many amazing sights as well. I'll be going to Delhi, Jaipur, Agra and Gwalior and a wildlife park. I am excited and terrified all at the sametime!
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 01:27 PM

I will be going to India for the first time in early February. I will start the trip with three nights in Hong Kong and then fly into Delhi. It will be Delhi (3), Agra (2), Jaipur (3) and Ranthambhore (National Park featuring Tigers and other wildlife)(3).

I am really looking forward to my trip, as well.

What can you tell me about Gwailor? I am not at all familiar with it. Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

It's an old city and there is a massive fort there. Do a search on "gwalior" and you will see some pics of it---there are other attractions as well. I copied the following:

The city's most renowned landmark stands on a steep mass of sandstone dominating the city and the fort hill is around 3 kms in length. Its glorious history dates back to more than a thousand years. Emperor Babar who was inspired by this imposing structure described it "the pearl amongst the fortresses of Hind." It has been a scene of momentous events - imprisonments, battles and jauhars. A steep road winds upwards to the Fort, flanked by statues of Jain tirthankaras, carved into the rock face. Looming at a height of 100 meters over the city, the magnificent outer walls of the Fort still stand, two miles in length and 35 feet high, bearing witness to its reputation for being one of the most invincible forts of India. It encompasses about six palaces, three temples and several water tanks. This fort was a mute witness to one of India's most dramatic events in history-the 1857 revolt. It silently stood by the side and watched, as Rani of Jhansi, (key participant in India's struggle against the British), died a valiant death within the ramparts. Gwalior is a legendary city, with a very interesting and colourful past, which remembers its kings, poets, singers and saints with pride, and preserves every monument of its historical and cultural heritage, with utmost care.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 09:35 AM

Talk to your doctor about sleeping pills. I always take one to help me sleep on those long flights and then again to help me get on the local schedule. I won't leave home without them but you need to discuss with your doctor first.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jahlie, I will definitely do that, I called for an appointment. I want to get something to make me sleep but not wake up groggy.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:02 AM

beachik, do talk with your doctor about sleeping pills. With a long flight, taking something that makes you sleep (and not get up and move around) does increase your chances of DVT (deep vein thrombosis) unless you are sleeping in a seat that has a high footrest or folds out nearly flat to a bed (business or first class seats). There are also a number of sleeping pills that can cause problems with feeling awake, but forgetting important things (a colleague woke up at the end of a long flight, felt awake and refreshed, and walked off the plane leaving all of his carry baggage behind!).

I don't take sleeping pills on the plane, but I do use melatonin once I arrive at a destination. Melatonin resets your body clock, it really isn't a sleeping pill. If you are a melatonin-responder (about a third of people are not) it can help you make the transition to a new time-zone nearly painless. Post here if you want the specfic instrustions on how to take melatonin.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 02:00 PM

To get some RELIABLE online medical information you can go to www.medlineplus.gov click on health topics and then click on travelers health or deep vein thrombosis. Medline is an NIH (National Institutes of Health)affiliated website. Another RELIABLE website is www.Mayoclinic.com, search for "thrombophlebitis" or their very easy to read article "Beating Jet Lag".

Keep in mind that Melatonin is very controversial. Clinical test trials are necessary to determine the effectivness and safety of all medications. If you decide to take Melatonin please tell your physician- just because it's in the "natural" doesn't mean it's safe. Only take the advice of Medical Professionals.

In any case, the above medical websites have invaluable information on any medical subject. I refer to them often and if I were you I'd read them first and then discuss sleep aides with your physician.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Kathie and Jahlie, thank you for the information, I will talk to the doctor about melatonin and read the information on these websites.