Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Jet Lag: Central USA to Asia -- Is it better to stopover in London for a few days to catch a breather or simply bite the bullet?

Search

Jet Lag: Central USA to Asia -- Is it better to stopover in London for a few days to catch a breather or simply bite the bullet?

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2004, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought for a long time that for a trip to Asia we would prefer to stopover someplace along the flightplan, like London, for a few days to partially get adjusted to the time difference before heading on to our final destination. Countries that interest us would be Japan, India, Nepal or Bhutan.

Jet lag doesn't bother us on our European trips; however on my European business trips I have had a little more trouble... I suspect it has to do with required critical thinking and an earlier start to the day rather than a tourist's pace.

Has anyone done a trip to Asia both ways? Are there other stopover destinations that you'd recommend? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
Sharon
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:56 AM

Hi Sharon:

I found the stopover on the way there to simply mean 2 time changes to adjust to rather than 1 big one, and if you can get any degree of sleep on the flight it will not be that bad of an adjustment. Given you are traveling from central US the elapsed time of the trip will be in the 25-30 hour range 'door-to-door' (from your house to the hotel) & about a 12 hour time change, so you might as well bite the bullet as you'll be surprised at you'll be adjusted to it after a day.

Hope this helps,

Z
Old May 31st, 2004, 08:15 AM

Japan is very far from India/Nepal/Bhutan, and is much closer to the US over the Pacific.

For the places you want to visit, you should get a round-the-world ticket. Because of wind, eastbound direction will have shorter travel time.

As for stopping over in Europe... Sounds like you've been there before, so you're not trying to do sightseeing. If that's the case, don't bother stopping there, as like TravelMaster says, you'll simply have to adjust your bodyclock one more time.
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:08 AM

BTW - I've gone both the eastern & western route to Asia from central Canada. All 'normal' flights go west over the Pacific but on 1 occasion I had to go east over the Atlantic due to bad weather in Canada where I was going to miss a connection in Vancouver. Either way took about the same elapsed travel time & had the same impact on my 'body clock'. Just the Pacfic route was direct (if I could have made it to Vancouver), while the Atlantic route had an extra connection (London & Bangkok instead of Vancouver) and a missed London or Bangkok connection meant overnighting there rather than overnighting in Vancouver. So I took the risk & the connections went flawlessly.

Z
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:07 PM

Visit Japan first. I believe there are daily non-stop flights to Japan from Chicago, Detroit and Minneapolis. If possible, pick a flight that arrives in Japan in the evening local time. West bound non-stop flying time is about 12-14 hours from above 3 cities. It's only about 11 hours from Vancouver or Seattle

To further reduce fatique, you could consider staying the night before at the getaway city before flying non-stop over the Pacific the next day.

Hope this helps.

Old May 31st, 2004, 02:04 PM

You are better off doing a day for night switch all at once. It really won't help to stop midway for a few days. If you opt to go to Japan first, that will be an easy flight for you from the mid-west.
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input so far. Let me say this right now, before someone tries to have us committed to doing all of these amazing places in the same trip: we would do these in four separate trips. Our travel strategy would be to choose one of these places and do it in depth. We would also limit our scope to a specific region or two. We like to travel at a pace where we have time to develop a sense of a location's rhythm. We also enjoy exploring festivals and celebrations of various cultures.

So far, the vote sounds unanimous: go straight to the destination. Sleep on the plane and adjust quickly.

Thank you for the helpful insights.

- Sharon
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 04:27 AM

You can get non-stops from Chicago to Tokyo daily. They last roughly 12 1/2 hours. They leave around the early afternoon hour (1:00ish) and arrive Tokyo mid-afternoon. I don't know that there is an option to leave and arrive at other times, but I've only traveled on UAL (ord) each time.

You can also catch a non-stop to Hong Kong. That flight is roughly 15 hours.

I agree with the others. Do the whole route and get yourself there, and THEN adjust as best you can to the new time. Forget the stop-overs to ease into it!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 05:21 AM

There is a theory that flying in a westerly direction is easier in terms of adjusting to jet lag at your destination. The theory is that you are flying a longer period in daylight and therefore your body can adjust its circadian rhythms. In my experience, this theory does work. If flight times are about the same flying via Europe or the Paciftic from the US, I would fly via the Pacific whenever possible.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:33 AM

Westbound flight also takes longer. If you have flown something like LAX-HKG or ORD-HKG, you'll be praying to get off the damn plane after 14 hours in the air, and you're still not there.

Anyways, here are some numbers:
ORD-LHR-BOM: 3,953mi +4,191mi = 8,143mi
ORD-HKG-DEL: 7,794mi +2,332mi = 10,125mi
ORD-NRT-DEL: 6,274mi + 3,679mi = 9,964mi

Even if you don't count the wind factor, going through Europe is still at least 1,800 miles shorter, or close to 4 hours fewer flying time.

Another problem is connection. For example, UA's ORD-HKG non-stop arrives at 17:10, but AI's flight leaves at 18:05, very very tight. CX's 4-times a week flight to BOM (via BKK) leaves early afternoon, so that's out, which leaves only 4 times a week to DEL later in the evening.

Similar situation in Tokyo. UA/AA/JL's from ORD all arrives at around 14:00-15:00, but both JL and AI flights to India leaves NRT at around noon. So, no connection there.

Singapore Airlines may have more flights to India and better connection, but from ORD, that means at least 3 flights.

I'm assuming you're flying from, or connecting thru, ORD. If your city has direct service to SFO or LAX, then situation is tiny bit better that way. CX's flights all arrive in HKG early in the morning, so you'll make the connection, but will have many hours transiting in Hong Kong.

Similar situation on SQ from LAX via Singapore to Delhi. But if you're going to Mumbai, you can take SQ's LAX-SIN non-stop that arrives early in the morning, and SQ has 4 times a week early flight to BOM.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:43 AM

Sorry, the 8,141 miles is actually to DEL. To BOM, it's 8,440 miles via LHR.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:06 AM

I am an American who regularly travels between USA and Asia and I do much prefer to stop for a few days in Europe (usually London). I find that a gradual adjustment to the time difference works much better for me and I arrive and adjust much more easily. Here's the other thing that helps a lot: one tylenol p.m. (or similar) at bedtime the first three nights. A good night's sleep gets you on the right schedule so much faster.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Fodorites are great!

This is a good beginning to an Asian trip plan.

rkkwan, you gave a whole bunch of info and detail. Thank you! I certainly know the way to start to analyze flight patterns to Asia now. We are not too far from Dallas, and might consider driving the 3 1/2 hours to Dallas and then departing from there.

We'll certainly take into account the east bound vs west bound routing. (Thanks, TravelMaster).

And to Diane_c: I appreciate your different viewpoint. It speaks volumes to the fact that travel is so personal and that works for one doesn't work for all. Are your frequent trips to Asia business trips? I have found that the jet lag on European business trips is definately different than tourist trips. Business trips just require a much more rigid schedule because of work demands and all. And, it seems that I've always had so very much to do in such a short time on work sponsored trips.

Diane_c, do you stopover going and coming or only on the trip to Asia? Does this make any difference?

Thank you for all the ideas,
Sharon
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:04 AM

To throw another idea at you, you should also look into a "round the world" ticket that allows travel only in one direction. These are generally cheaper than doing a round trip out and back. From Dallas to a place like India, you are pretty much equidistant going via Europe or the Pacific, so a round the world ticket would save you some money. You should also price them and count flight hours for your other scheduled trips.

If you have the time and the luggage space, a few day stop over is nice but IMO is not going to really help you adjust to a new time clock, and might in fact get you more confused. The 6 hour time difference in Europe is not really going to help you with a 13 or 14 hour time difference in Japan or Bhutan or even the 10.5 hour time difference in New Delhi. Its still daylight in both US and Europe for much of the same time, but is completely opposite in Asia. Also, if you are going to India or Thailand in February, you will need very different clothes than you would for February in London, so luggage room is another consideration.

I definitely would not do a Europe stopover for Bhutan or Nepal, as you are going to have enough flights getting to those two places once you reach India (most likely starting point for a trip to either Bhutan or Nepal.)
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:16 AM

When doing a day for night switch, it doesn't really matter which direction you fly in terms of jet leg. The things that will make the most difference will be which way you can get the best flights (ie, fewest connections). I live in Seattle, so for me to get to Nepal, for instance, the best route is via Bangkok. If you're closer to the eaast coast, the connection through India may be best.

Some people like to have a stop to get out and stretch, others like to have as long as flight as possible in order to be able to sleep uninterrupted.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Discussed this a bit with my husband last night. I have found everyone's insights and shared experiences to be very informative and we'll make a more informed decision thanks to you.

- Sharon
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 09:08 AM

A few more notes on jetlag (based on numerous trips USA to Europe, Africa, Asia & Australia):

* If traveling to Asia where inexpensive massages are available, have a massage EVERY day the first four days of the trip. For some reason, this virtually "erases" jetlag.

* Be absolutely sure to move around once each waking hour onboard the flite. This means walking up and down the aisles at minimum. I stand in an open area and do marching in place, deep knee bends, stretches, but stop short of jumping jacks!

* Drink 8 oz. bottled water per hour while awake. Minimize alcohol consumption inflite, one glass of wine maximum.

* Try hard to find a premium or deluxe economy seat for the ultra-long flites. Eva Airways (Taiwan-based and not well-known in USA) has Evergreen Deluxe class for about $200 more than regular economy. Eva is a mileage partner with Continental, book on Eva and get miles on CO. Eva flies to Asia from west-coast gateways LAX, SFO, SEA. Another good bet is the new Singapore Air non-stop LAX-SIN in Executive Economy. There is an additional cost for this long-haul, but you get wonderful Singapore Air service, good food, champagne, and a considerably larger seat and seat pitch (distance to the seat in front of you). I cannot stress enough what a difference the better seating makes on a trip to Asia.

* One last tip: try to arrive later in the day at your destination, force yourself to stay up until a reasonable bedtime, don't nap during the day, get outside in sunlight (the primary body clock adjuster). If you wake up in the middle of the night hungry, eat a granola bar or piece of fruit, not a full meal from room service. Take melatonin if it works for you (3-4mg pill), I use it on the flite and the first 3 nites at the new time zone.

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 06:46 PM
BMZ

London, or any place in Europe will take you far out of your way--and make the jet lag all the greater. The shortest, and best way to Asia from central Canada is north or a little west of due north over the polar icecap. Europe is the wrong way!
Last month we flew from Chicago to Bejing--13 hours(over the polar icecap)--and minimal jet lag.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Actually we'd be flying from Central USA --- OKC. Although Canada sounds great this time of year! (Much cooler ) And, my family dearly loves Canada. Our son attends college in Ontario. See what happens when you take your kids on trips? They don't limit their college options to the USA. I will say I enjoyed the college-trip search with him. But, oops, this thread is about Asia and getting there.

- Sharon
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Diane47 - thanks for the jet-lag tips. I'll throw one back at you.

I don't ever undertake a long flight without a good dose of extra-rich body lotion slathered all over before I dress the day of the flight. Then, I keep some in my carry-on case, to reapply if necessary. This helps my skin and comfort level so much!

And Cicerone - We'll definitely keep the round the world option in the pricing scheme. There are so many tricks to keeping costs down and I don't think I would have considered the 'round the world' price option. Thank you!

- Sharon