Japan with three kids

Search

Japan with three kids

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan with three kids

Hello everyone. My wife and I will be taking our three kids (ages 12, 10 and 5) to Japan for two weeks in March.

Our current itinerary starts with 6 nights in Tokyo (staying at the Akasaka Prince) with visits to Disney, the Imperial Palace, the teenage shoppers in Harajuku, a baseball game (if in season) and a day trip to Hakone/Mt Fuji.

We then spend 4 nights in Kyoto (staying at the Westin Miyako), from which we will also attend a day of sumo in Osaka and the aquarium there as well.

I am torn about what to do with the last three days. I don't want to make a lot of stops as it's hard to move as a family. I would like for us to see a nice bit of rural or coastal Japan if possible. And I would like for us to stay at a Ryokan, assuming a child-friendly one even exists. I worry we are spending the majority of our stay in Western-style hotels.

On Day 14 we will need to make our way to Narita for a noon-time flight back to the US, so we would need to factor those logistics in as well.

Any suggestions for one or two destinations for the last three days?

Thanks!
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Most ryokan and onsen hotels are very kid friendly. Elementary school aged children (6 - 12) generally get a significant discount from the per person rate, and preschool kids even a bigger discount, sometimes free except for food.

The Osaka aquarium is very nice. There is also a huge ferris wheel that is fun if it is running.

Plan your Disney time for a weekday, and hopefully before the end of school around the 25th of the month. School vacation time is a nightmare at Disney, as are most weekends. Weekdays are much nicer there as there are not nearly as many people.

You might go to Hiroshima and Miyajima for the last 2 - 3 days. The area has a lot to see besides the Dome and Peace Park, and I think Miyajima is a lovely place, with nice hiking and a beautiful temple. You could stay in a nice ryokan in Miyajima.

You might also consider Kanazawa, and nearby Gokayama and Shirakawa-go. I live in Kanazawa, which is a small city, and Gokayama and S-go are about an hour from here by car. Lovely World Heritage Villages. Our daughter loves these places as well....a peek into the past, nice scenery, some things like paper making and noodle making you can try yourself, and not too long a drive from home.

The airport that serves Kanazawa, Komatsu Airport, has a daily flight to Narita Airport at maybe 8:30 AM? or 8:00 AM. It takes an hour, and would be perfect timing for an international flight departing at noon.

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:05 AM

you might consider spending one fewer day in Tokyo and spend an extra day in Kyoto. 5 days are adequate to do all you've described. As you know, you can't really go into Imperial Palace. For me, Kyoto Imperial Palace (need advance reservation) was much more interesting. Mt Fuji will be closed in March. I second KimJapan's suggestion for Kanazawa.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Also Hiroshima is a good idea, esp if you couple it with Kurashiki's historical town.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

KimJapan,

I am leaning toward Kanazawa instead of Hiroshima because of the easier logistics getting back to Narita. We would travel there from Kyoto and spend two nights before leaving for Narita to stay in a hotel before our flight.

How long does it take to travel by train from Kanasawa to Narita? How many trains run per day?

As a resident of Kanazawa, where would you recommend we stay? We want to stay for one night in a Ryokan that is kid friendly and has good food (as well as a somewhat flexible policy on not charging the kids for a full meal when they probably wouldn't touch half the stuff anyway). Ideally the ryokan would be near an Onsen as well.

Also, any particular noteworthy stops for a 12, 10 and 5-year old?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Train to Narita from Kanazawa will take about 6 hours with at least 2 changes of train. The price is about the same as the airplane.

Ryokan in the city are not onsen hotels...but they do have bath facilities, usually one or two rooms with one or two tubs. There are plenty of onsen within an hour of Kanazawa...Yuwaku, Wakura, Yamashiro, Yamanaka...

Most places offer a special kids meal that kids will eat. Kids price is discounted depending on their age. Price ranges from ¥15,000 and up per person per night, with the ¥15,000 price being for a pretty basic place. With 5 of you, the one night is likely to cost at least ¥100,000, probably more. If the experience is worth that to you, then you may want to consider spending even more for a top class experience.

A much less expensive option is a night in a minshuku in Gokayama or Shirakawa-go. More beautiful as well. There it is ¥8000 per person per night at most places...set price by the association.

Karakuri Kinenkan in Kanazawa is a great museum of old fashioned movable toys and boxes and such...like magic but really only very clever design. It's a favorite of our daugther. There is also a good wet market, with conveyer belt sushi shops that is fun. The usual sightseeing places are interesting for my daugther...probably most kids would be entertained by them.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

KimJapan,

If we were willing to spend the $$$, what would you consider a top class Ryokan experience, and which place would you recommend?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Top class in Kanazawa, Asadaya Ryokan or Kincharyo Ryokan. Prices upwards of ¥50,000 per person per night. These are both small places, and service is very personalized. Very.

Kagaya in Wakura Onsen, about 1 hour north of Kanazawa is a big luxury onsen resort. It's over the top...lots of baths to choose from and great food. It is quite a huge place.

About 3 hours north of Kanazawa at the top of the Noto peninsula is Lamp no Yado, a place I've heard great things about and that we want to try, but haven't yet. It's around ¥30,000 - ¥40,000 per person per night.

These are all places that you check into in the afternoon and don't leave until after breakfast in the morning. You will have baths, drink tea or cocktails, read, watch TV, have a long, leisurely dinner, another bath, sleep, wake, bath maybe, eat again, check out. It's all about service and aesthetics at this level...far beyond the "sleep on the futon on the floor" experience kind of place.

In Shirakawa-go, there are many places that offer a kind of rustic, homey experience, with wooden bathtub and open hearth fireplace for cooking and warming yourself.

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Maybe you've already seen other recommendations for the Hirota Guest House in Kyoto. My wife and I and our two teenagers enjoyed the cottage in the garden. Good location, kitchen, and good space for your family. Pretty. Next door to a little park (even has its own little door through the wall to the park). The innkeeper speaks english well and has great suggestions for sightseeing. If you're interested, search this site for Hirota Guest House.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 02:21 PM

You might consider a day trip from Kyoto to Nara if you can add a day to your Kyoto stay. The kids would probably love the deer park and there are many interesting sights. We were there with our two kids (ages 9 and 12) and it was one of the highlights of our trip to Japan.