Best Tour Company and other questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Beijing, Hangzhou,Xian and Shanghai June of 2007. We had a trip planned before and couldn't go and were already vaccinated in 2005 for Hepatitis A, received Typhoid oral and got polio boosters. Tetanus shots I thought were good for 10 years, I'll have to check the dates of our last ones.

Do you all think we need additional vaccinations before travelling this summer?

What is the status on the bird flu nowadays?

How bad are the mosquitos in June?
Is the end of June blazing hot, or we're still ok until July/August?

We booked with United Vacations before, but they ended up to be quite expensive. Anyone have good/bad experiences with Ritz, Pacific Delights or anyone else?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:28 AM

I can't help you on tour groups.

In terms of immunizations, it sounds like you are good. Tetanus is good for 10 years, oral typhoid is good for 5 years, Hep A is good for at least 10 years.

If you have other travel med questions, take a look at www.cdc.gov/travel They also cover the current status of the avian flu.

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:41 AM
pat

check over on the frommer`s Asia board, for lots of discussion about tours, especially China Spree and China Focus, as well as discussions on independant travel. As far as the bird flu is concerned, unless it starts spreading people to people, then not a problem unless you are around fowl. In thailand, they said last year there were red signs up, warning about bird flu areas, but this year, they are all gone.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Try http://www.djoserusa.com/
We have travelled with them 4 times. They get you to the places you want to see, provide adequate local hotels, and allow some freedom in the schedule to do your own thing. We will be booking the June 2007 China/Tibet tour with them (22 days) soon.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:30 PM
k

We took Gate 1's tour to china and Tibet last summer. It was wonderful. Price was very reasonable. We have also traveled with Smarttours/friendly planet. I think they give a better value for the dollar but it depends on where you want to go. OAT does a nice job too, we did Peru with them, nice small groups, but not much independent time which we like. Guess it is what suits your fancy.