Search

Japan with small kids and older parents

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2018, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan with small kids and older parents

Hello,
Need help with itinerary and I appreciate in advance! We don't have anything concrete yet, just a desire to travel to Japan and thinking of 2019. Never been to Japan.

How many days is good enough? When is a good time to go, weather wise? What month? I have small kids (7 and 4) so if we go other than summer, may need to pull him out of school which is ok since it's only in 1st grade, won't affect his grades much.
Will have older parents (they're in good health condition) with us too. We love sightseeing, food, shopping, natural and history. We want to visit places that are family friendly.

I do have a concern in terms of the trains over there. I heard it can get crazy and I have small kids, I have an irrational fear that I may lose them on the trains mainly because I see people are in a rush to get on and off the trains and it gets really packed. Is this true? Also, how do you navigate around? Is it alot of walking or is uber readily available? Do they have airbnb or just hotel? if so, which hotel is good or convenient? Best places to eat? We love Japanese food alot.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 08:29 AM
kja

Japan is a large country with a wealth of very different opportunities, from traditional temples and gardens and castles through the ultramodern, and with diverse natural scenery. This range of options means that no one can say how long you would want to spend, or what, exactly, you would want to do / see / experience. That said, I would suggest that most people want at least 2 weeks, if not 3, for a first visit.

I would urge you to spend lots of time with japan-guide.com, which isn’t perfect, but is really very good. You’ll find sections on when to go (which would be included in any decent guidebook), on trains, lodging, food, etc.

Most trains and subway are perfectly manageable. The type of craziness you describe would really only apply to the busiest stations during rush hour – and you can easily avoid that by planning accordingly. For example, I wouldn’t want to try to get on a subway or train at Shinjuku station in Tokyo during rush hour, nor did I find any reason to do so.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 08:28 PM

Personally, I would never have pulled my sons out of school for vacations. My older son's teacher said to all of us at Parents' Night: "Do not take your children out of school for Disneyland, or any vacation. What we do here is important every day." Having said that, I would try for the beginning of the summer, or right at the end. That way, it will be less hot. With all those people in tow, two weeks may be enough.

Regarding the subway in Tokyo, I never found it that crowded, even in rush hour. The Japanese are super polite, especially to westerners, so no one is going to be pushing and shoving. As for your destinations, make a list of what you want to see, and look at a subway map online. I found it super easy to figure out. Of course, the Japanese love maps and flow charts, so people will help you enthusiastically.

I found Odaiba to be a great destinations for children..The boat ride over there is nice and peaceful as well. You could easily spend a whole day there.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 11:26 PM

Public transportation is complex but doable. Make it easy on yourself by getting suica or pasmo cards for your family with enough balance on them to get around without worrying about fares.
We recently returned from Japan and it was sad to see families huddled around crowded ticket machines trying to calculate point A to point B fares and find appropriate change to buy single ride tickets.
On the Shinkansen and express trains you have to be ready to get off before you arrive at your destination, notice is given usually in english and by signage on the car a few minutes before arrival.
My wife had the same fear as you that somehow we would be separated and watch as the doors closed and one or the other departed leaving the other behind, we said the departing person would get off on the next stop and wait,with the fallback of returning to our hotel after an hour. So far we haven't had to implement it.
Also with a MiFi hot spot you can rent, your smart phone with the Google Maps directions function can give surprisingly accurate detailed routes and schedule advice. Make sure to do a little pre planning to determine what exit/entrance is best as some stations are large and have many options.
Taxis can be useful but during peak hours traffic can be a consideration
You may want to consider getting away from the most popular tourist destinations for some of your trip. Tokyo and Kyoto are popular for a reason having sites that are "must sees" but if you venture toward more off the beaten track areas you will find less crowds and plenty of great food and attractions.
Check out some of the trip reports here on Fodors, also check out some of the NHK programs on Youtube......, Jtrip Plan, Tokyo Eye 2020 and Journeys in Japan will give many ideas for destinations.
Hope you have a good time
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 04:59 PM

You are not going to see all of Japan in one trip (or two...or three...) so you need to decide how many days you want to spend. If only a week, I suggest you stick to one area of the country. If 2, then you have more flexibility. Many people would split their time between Tokyo and the Kansai area (Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Kobe, Himeji) but you don't have to stick to the old beaten trail if you don't want to.
As for when, spring and autumn are by far the better times to travel. Summer can get extremely sticky and muggy unless you go way up north to Hokkaido or the upper Tohoku Area. Winter offers a lot less natural beauty but fewer tourist crowds and there is some tremendous skiing too if you like. June through early July is the rainy season for the southern half of the country or so, and you could get days of pouring rain and steam bath humidity.
No doubt you've heard of the packed trains - but that depends where in the country you are and when. Tokyo at rush hour makes sardines in a can look pretty spacious. But if you avoid those times (especially Tokyo around 7-9 AM or so) you'll feel a world of difference.

The Worst Case Scenario - but with planning you don't have to deal with this at all.

You will be doing a lot of walking. Even if just climbing stairs at stations and going to nearby sights. How much depends where you go, of course. If there are 4 or fewer adults (maybe the kids can sit on laps), then a taxi at some places makes a fast and efficient choice.
You can try browsing the JNTO Page and Japan Guide. The official city websites also have extensive sightseeing guides with great places listed nowhere else.
Youtube can indeed be a great resource too. Try looking through:
Discover Nippon
The Japan FAQ
Aqua Geographic
Tokyo Street View
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 01:16 PM

You need to go to Japan-guide.com and start researching. Some of your questions are basic and some are somewhat ridiculous like "Do they have airbnb or just hotel?" (Go check airbnb and vrbo to see if there are listings in Japan). Or this question "which hotel is good or convenient?" - for what and in which city?

Tokyo is one of the most populated metropolitan centers in the world. It has a TON of eating establishments. It also has a lot of transport options, which you can see on various websites. And its cabs are ridiculously costly.

Go and research. Seriously, the more you learn the better you'll feel about the trip.
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

BigRuss. I appreciate your response. If you are going to respond then be helpful. If you don't want to, then that's ok with me. A bunch of other people on here have already responded nicely and gave me alot of helpful tips. Your response doesn't need to sound so insulting like that. I'm a newbie, so I'm asking those "basic" questions. Why do they bother you? You didn't even need to respond at all.
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 07:19 AM

If you appreciate my response then you can appreciate what I'm saying: (1) Posters here are volunteering our time to help, not do your work for you; (2) you get better information when you ask good questions. There are immense resources on Japan throughout the internet that you obviously had not investigated, most specifically airbnb and vrbo - why ask us if you can hop on their websites and check? As I said, do your own homework and you'll feel a lot better about the trip. And considering you have not stated what you want to see or do or what interests you about Japan, most of your questions are unanswerable (what hotels, where to eat, how long to stay).

I've been very helpful, you just don't want to take my advice. That's on you.
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 05:16 PM
kja

I find it intriguing when a poster fails to respond to people until s/he decides to call someone out for what s/he thinks isn't helpful. Personally, I'd rather spend my time expressing gratitude. JMO.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Kja, I do appreciate everyone's responses here. I hadn't had the time to log in and respond and when I finally did, I saw/read the latest response first and felt very hurt or insulted rather. You are right, I should have focused on the positive instead of the negative. Thanks for spending time to respond to me.

BigRuss, I always do my research, and asking questions on here is one of my many resources in addition to looking at other sites for pricing, for places to do. The more options I have the better. To me it is better to get the info first hand from experiencd travelers. I don't just ask a question here and I'm done. By the way, I have rented Airbnb and VRBO in the past. Thanks for your time as well.

Last edited by jlee; Apr 26th, 2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Adastra2200, thanks for the video. It looks intimidating. Lol. But good to know that it's not too bad in real life if I avoid rush hour which makes sense . I ll check out other youtube videos you listed. Super helpful to know it's better to go during spring or fall. Definitely help to hear first hand from someone who's better there and knows the weather or climate well. I ll keep that in mind.

Last edited by jlee; Apr 26th, 2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

CaliforniaLady, I agree. I am not too comfortable pulling my son out of school for a vacation either eventhough he is only first grade. Will include Odaiba on my list! Thanks!

Kalihiwai2. Thanks for the tips on the pasma cards/suica, and MiFi. I do feel better after hearing your wife had the same fear. I thought I was too crazy or irrational for thinking like that (Lol), I guess it's a normal fear that some people have with crowded trains and small kids. Actually my coworker did tell me that he got separated from his family for a bit so that kind of added to my insecurity. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 07:32 PM

Some Odaiba Tips
First Japan Guide link to Odaiba
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html
To get there use the Yurikamome line from Shimbashi if you can.
Sit on the front car if possible, it is a window seat on an elevated train line with great views.
https://www.japanvisitor.com/japan-transport/yurikamome
Gundam Statue, kind of fun.
Miraikan, Museum of Emerging Science, Great for kids
The National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation (Miraikan)
Toyota Mega Web, a lot of fun stuff for kids and families
???????? ?????????? MEGA WEB???????
Japan Guide Half Day Itinerary here
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3051_odaiba_half.html
We enjoyed the Trick Art Museum and the Oedo Onsen too.
You may want to start making reservations with good cancellation policies right away as Japan tourism is booming.
Hope you and you and your family have fun
Old May 3rd, 2018, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Kalihiwai2 - thanks so much for the information! Definitely keep all of them in mind when I plan out my itinerary. Have a wonderful day!