Search

Japan or Singapore/Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan or Singapore/Thailand

Hello,

I had kind of finalized Singapore-Bangkok and one more beach place in Thailand.

But then I again started thinking of Japan vs. the above places ? We are a family of 4 with kids aged 8 and 10.

Any pros and cons of Japan vs Singapore/Thailand ? The trip will be for 14 days from Dec. 22nd till Jan. 4th. Is Japan kid friendly or will kids be bored there ?

Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 11:27 AM

price, price, price... japan is quite expensive, but so is Singapore...

I might axe Singapore and just spend my whole time in Thailand.. plenty to do.. sing. is good for a couple of days if you wish: hop on bus, zoo, botanical gardens---all for the kids..
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 11:33 AM

If it were me - and it isn't - with two kids I'd just visit Thailand. You can make three stops Bangkok, Chiang Mai (to visit the Thai Elephant Conservation Center at Lampang) and a beach location. The kids will likely prefer fewer stops for longer at each stop.

As Bob says there are things the kids would enjoy in Singapore, but it is quite expensive.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 12:34 PM

I think there is more for your kids to do in Thailand. Unless you always stay in expensive hotels and wouldn't notice any difference in hotel prices, Thailand is cheaper than Singapore and Japan. Bangkok is larger than Singapore. Japanese come to Thailand for cheaper holidays! Singapore is nice in a regulated way but Singaporeans come to Thailand for fun!

Your money will go further in Thailand. Round trip to Bangkok is usually cheaper than a series of one way flights. Local transportation in Thailand is very reasonable even if you use discount airlines. Your kids can ride elephants, visit beaches, ride boats, see old temples and zoos, etc. If they are picky eaters they can also find familiar foods they are used to - even food restaurants too!

In my opinion, Thailand is more tourist friendly.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 12:41 PM

Fast food restaurants, left the "fast" out!

Many restaurants of all types and price ranges, cheap food courts and street vendors. Besides good Thai meals you will find familiar meals your kids will recognize too. There are "kid friendly" things to do in Thailand that show up with a simple Google search.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 07:29 PM

The climate will be better in Thailand/Singapore than in Japan at that time of year. It will be cold and there are better times of the year to go to Japan (November, May, April, October).

You can visit Japan with the same budget (a bit more) as Thailand. One way is to shorten the trip (though Thailand requires an extra 14 hours of flying). Lodging won't be as luxurious. Japan is a first world nation and has just about everything you could want (except beaches).

Tokyo has Disney Sea and Tokyo Disney. http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/tds/

Osaka has Universal Studios Japan. http://www.usj.co.jp/e/

I think Japan is kid friendly, but I haven't traveled with children. I can tell you that the Japanese adore children. In good weather you will see Japanese kids everywhere of all ages. Just about every site you visit will have at least one group of schoolkids.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 07:46 PM

I'm not done. Didn't mean to Submit yet. Dunno how that happened.

I can pretty much guarantee that (in good weather) there will be students at the entrance to the Golden Pavillion in Kyoto who will approach you to practice their English. My point is that besides the attractions in Japan your kids will be able to have encounters with Japanese kids. If you don't come back with pictures of your kids with smiling Japanese students in uniforms, flashing the peace sign, then it is because you didn't ask. If a 50+ year old guy (me) enjoys meeting, greeting. joking around with Japanese kids then your kids will too.

If your kids like "cute" then there is lots of it in Japan. Here are a couple of links about visiting Japan with children.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/indepth/ex...1_insight.html
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/indepth/exotic/animation/