Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Would you cancel trip to Singapore and Thailand at end of May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have tickets and hotel reservations to visit Singapore and Thailand starting May 25 for two weeks. We have the flights and hotels we wanted and have looked forward to this trip for many months. Now with the SARS virus, we are wondering if we should cancel and go somewhere else such as Hawaii, or if we should reschedule for later in the year. Both cancelling or resheduling can be done without penalty up to the time we would leave. Would you change plans now or wait a little longer to see if the SARS situation improves? The only problem with waiting is that it would be harder to get flights to Hawaii. Your advice please.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:10 AM

Hi, I wouldnt cancel if I were you. The SARS situation is bound to get better within the next month. My husband and I are scheduled to go diving around the same time and we're sticking to our plan. We have friends in southeast asia who say things will improve (of course no one knows for sure.) If you're in the United States Asia is unique, Hawaii can be anytime. Have a good trip either way!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 06:14 AM

You should also check the WHO website and you'll notice that the USA has more cases of SARS than Thailand. <BR><BR>I'm afraid this thing is already global.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman, I have been checking the WHO website and I am not that concerned about Thailand as I am about Singapore. Also, we would be coming into Thailand on Singapore Airlines, which I understand all passengers are subjected to some sort of health screening. I checked the Bangkok Post online today and there was mass confusion at the airport because of this, and everyone coming from the affected countries have to wear masks. That doesn't sound like a pleasant holiday.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:04 AM

I would agree with the above comments and add that the face mask requirement seems to be for a period of two weeks after your arrival, but only if you are coming from a country known to be a hot spot-such as Hong Kong or Singapore. It doesn't yet apply to travelers from less affected countries, like the US. So, unless you don't mind wearing a face mask for most of your trip, I'd suggest going straight to Thailand, but keep checking the WHO and Thai websites. We are also in the same position as we leave with our two kids in late May for Bangkok. However, since we're staying for two months, we can deal with the facemask thing for two weeks.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:17 AM

NO
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:36 AM

If worrying about SARS is going to cause you to obsess, then I would cancel. There is nothing worse than worrying to ruin a vacation because you can't enjoy yourself. SARS concerns me because it is a virus, which you can't see. You can protect yourself against malaria or take precautions against terrorism, but what about SARS? Are you really going to wear a surgical mask thoughout your entire trip? If you wear one on the airplane, you are going to have to remove it to eat or drink. You can't fly 20 hours without eating or drinking. I cancelled my trip to Cambodia and Vietnam because of SARS.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 09:37 PM

I am in the same boat as you are. I am supposed to be going to Thailand on my honeymoon in early June. So far we haven't made any concrete decisions. It really depends on how the situation evolves over the next month or so. I don't want to get sick on my honeymoon. I also don't want to deal with any inconveniences (ie long lines to get screened at an airport). I don't want to spend my vacation worried when I hear someone cough around me. But, I hoping things will improve soon and we can go and not be worried. We won't be making any decisions until we are closer to our departure date. If you have a plan to fall back on, I would wait until your trip is closer before making any decisions. Have fun no matter what you decide!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:01 PM

This is so unfortunate...I was going to book a trip to Hong Kong and Thailand for the end of March...We ended up buying a new house and decided instead to go to Europe in September..Last October we were booked to go to Hong Kong and Bali and had to cancel due to the bombing...We were really disappointed, but did not want to go to Bali and be scared to death...So I know how you feel..However, and eventhough the risk is low, I think i would cancel or at least postpone..Singapore and Thailand are such wonderful countries to visit..I think you would probably have a much better and relaxing holiday if you rescheduled...Especially that you have that option...When we did our Singapore/Thailand trip it was right after 9/11 and although we had a great time, I probably would have cancelled had we been able to without a 75% penalty..Let's hope the SARS situation improves...
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 04:07 PM

&quot;The SARS situation is bound to get better within the next month.&quot;<BR><BR>Not to be an alarmist, but from the AP yesterday:<BR><BR>&quot;Will it explode into a major epidemic that will propagate over the years? Or will it fizzle out or be contained at a low rate? That's unknown,&quot; said Dr. Lee Harrison of the University of Pittsburgh. &quot;I suspect we will see this disease for at least the next several years. It's hard to imagine it will be over soon.&quot;<BR><BR>I'm new at this, so I don't know if I can post a URL, but here's the link to the AP article:<BR><BR>customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MYSTERY_ILLNESS_FUTURE?SITE=OHCIN&amp;SECTION=HOME &amp;TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 05:55 PM
DMG

Richard: I think you answered your own question, saying it woudln't be much of a vacation. I would probably reschedule once you know things have settled down.<BR><BR>I understand your disappointment. I felt that when I cancelled a vacation in September 2001.<BR><BR>PS: I was in Singapore, Vietnam, and Hong Kong in February and fell fortunate that I returned home before knowing about this.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. Although we were looking forward to going in May, we have decided to wait. It will not cost us anything to change plans and we are not locked into taking vacation at any specific time, so we will go later when the SARS situation is under control.