Japan in Sept/Oct?

Dec 9th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Japan in Sept/Oct?

I’m trying to grab FF seats to Japan for our first trip there for about a month. We’re looking at mid Sept thru mid Oct. I‘ve looked at weather data and concerned about excessive heat and humidity during Sept. Typhoon season is thru October. Going later in Nov is problematic for us. We don’t anticipate leaving Honshu. Would appreciate hearing opinions on going then. Thanks

Last edited by yestravel; Dec 9th, 2018 at 05:49 PM.
Dec 9th, 2018, 07:00 PM

I love late-ish October right up to Christmas. Also love it in March through May. The heat is usually gone by the beginning of October, the humidity appears only if a typhoon is on it's way.

We've been there three times when typhoons hit, but two of those we never knew about them. Japan is a long country! The third time, we were right in the path, but it was just heavy rain and wind all night, and the next day, we took an early train into Tokyo, then the trains stopped, so we had to take a bus to Narita.
Dec 9th, 2018, 07:55 PM

One month, I’m envious!

Totally agree with lcuy, late October through November is great. September to mid-October could see warm, rainy weather. But if that is when you have to travel I wouldn’t worry too much. At least it’s not August lol.
Dec 10th, 2018, 11:58 AM

It's not a bad time to travel at all. And as for hurricanes, it's not like they come every other day. But if you are concerned, they start way down south and move northwards. You could start your trip in the Tohoku Region, and work your way southward. Octberis one of the best times to be in Japan as far as weather goes. The miserable heat and humidity is pretty much gone. Lots of clear blue skies.
Dec 10th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I think we will chance it as we can't go any later. I figure its like going to the Outer Banks, NC in August/Sept.
Adastra -- where would you suggest in the Tohoku Region?
Dec 10th, 2018, 03:27 PM
mjs

I agree with everyone else. October and November are my favorite months for most of Japan. No typhoons past about mid October.
Dec 11th, 2018, 09:23 AM

Our first trip was September into October and our second one October into November. We loved both and avoided hurricanes / typhoons during our visits. Our third visit was in April to May, to see sakura, and I loved that, but next visit we'll revert to autumn, as we preferred it overall.
Dec 12th, 2018, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Hey mjs -- thanks! I think we met in London last spring at a small GTG for dinner? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that our weather isn't horrible. Due to other travel plans we need to be back home by mid Oct or so.

Kavey -- thank you for your response. Good to hear you didn't have weather issues. I got the award ticket for the outbound leaving in mid Sept.
Dec 12th, 2018, 07:53 AM

Wonderful! So exciting!
We had originally planned (earlier this year) to take a 3 month trip next year in celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary, but since then we not only decided to make a huge move away from the city into a rural property, we found the one we wanted and put in an offer. We're in the process of buying it now, and will likely (fingers crossed) take possession in January.
Given that, and the additional expenses to come, we can't justify the 3 month trip to Japan.
I'm still hoping we might be able to do a shorter one, but won't be in position to decide and therefore book for a good few months.
If we do go, it would be September!
Dec 12th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Kavey - congrats--very exciting time for you. Good luck with the purchase and the move. If you decide to go to Japan in September, let me know. Perhaps our paths will cross.
Dec 12th, 2018, 04:21 PM

Where to go in Tohoku? There is no shortage of places - you are talking about more or less half of Honshu. You didn't give a lot on your interests. You can look at this map and see many of the most popular. What you need to know though is the farther from the bullet train line you go, the more inconvenient transport can get. That said, there are also good areas where renting a car makes sense - and there is a good tollway pass you can take advantage of.
Urabandai in Fukushima starts to get some very good autumn leaves in October. The 2-3 hour walk down the Oirase Stream in Aomori likewise is famous for it, though it can get crowded on weekends. If you like Shirakawago in Gifu or Miyama in Kyoto for a taste of old Japan, you also might like Ouchijuku in Aizu-Wakamatsu. Sendai is the biggest city in the region, and nearby is Matsushima, one of Japan's traditional Top 3 views. Yamadera in Yamagata is one of the most famous temples in the region, along with Chusonji in Hiraizumi is also very worthwhile. In Iwate, the Ryusendo Cave is one of Japan's Top 3, and the rugged Sanriku Coast is called one of Japan's best. Plus the region has some excellent hot spring areas. There is so much more - you can't see it all in one time, so don't even try.
Dec 12th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Adastra- thank you for all the information. This trip just became a reality a few days ago. I need to read up more and look at maps. I will heed your advice to stay near the bullet train. I will likely start a planning thread once I have more knowledge.
Dec 16th, 2018, 01:00 AM

I'll definitely post here if we decide we can do a trip!
Dec 16th, 2018, 03:39 PM
mjs

We attended a GTG in Soho two springs ago but not last spring. Sorry to catch up late but we just returned from two weeks in Patagonia.
Dec 16th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Mjs- yes, Spring 2017 early dinner at an Asian restaurant. You left dinner to go to a show. It was my husband and me and the woman who arranged it. Did you like Patagonia? I loved it.
Dec 17th, 2018, 12:21 AM
mjs

Yes, Chinese restaurant basement. Lovely food and company with Ger. Exhausted by Patagonia. Not used to hiking up hills for hours and hours! Also not used to moving so often as it is a long journey between Argentina and Chile, especially when you do it twice in different locations. Large country. You are from DC yes?
Dec 17th, 2018, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

mjs -- Ah yes, Ger -- I kept thinking of her real name and couldn't remember her moniker on Fodor's. Yes, we are from DC. I vaguely recall discussing Japan with you then.
I don't believe we did quite as much hiking up hills for hours -- sounds exhausting with that and the moving around. But such a beautiful area I thought. TdP blew me away.

On Japan, anyplace in Tokyo you recommend staying that is in the price range of 35000 or less that has a decent sized room?
Dec 17th, 2018, 08:42 AM
mjs

I almost always stay at the Westin in Ebisu as they have large rooms. Used to fit our family of four. Close to train station on Yamamoto line and close to subways. Department store next door with a decent food floor where I often get take out food. Lots of restaurants nearby.
Dec 17th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, mjs. I'll check it out.